Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Press Briefing by Tony Snow

Here's an excerpt from the Snowman's Briefing yesterday about BP agent Ramos.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases ... 206-6.html

For Immediate Release
    Office of the Press Secretary
    February 6, 2007

Press Briefing by Tony Snow
    White House Conference Center Briefing Room

1:13 P.M. EST

Q Thank you, Tony. A couple of questions. There's a news report from the Yazoo City Federal Correctional Complex in Mississippi that former U.S. Border Patrol Agent Ignacio Ramos was -- has been attack by five illegal alien inmates and severely beaten. My question: What is the President's reaction to this, since he refused thousands of requests to pardon this man?

MR. SNOW: Well, first I would be careful, even though your own publication was responsible for that report. Here is a statement from Charles Smith --

Q They're the only ones -- are you say they were the only ones?

MR. SNOW: Here's a statement from Charles Smith, who represents the institution, and here's their report: "On February 3rd, 2007, at approximately 10:15 p.m., inmate Ignacio Ramos, an inmate incarcerated at the federal correctional complex in Yazoo City, Mississippi, reported to staff that he had been assaulted. Mr. Ramos was evaluated by medical staff at the institution, who determined he had sustained some bruises and abrasions. The injuries sustained were minor in nature. Inmate Ramos was subsequently placed in the special housing unit, pending a thorough investigation of the incident. He will remain in the special housing unit until the conclusion of this investigation. No further information is available at this time."

Q That's a good answer. (Laughter.)

MR. SNOW: It was a predictable question.

Q I have a couple of follow-ups. The Fort Worth Star Telegraph quotes President Bush on Fox TV network as saying that he is bound by strict federal guidelines on pardons, and cannot immediately grant a pardon to Border Patrol agents Ramos and Campean because, quote, "there is a series of steps that are analyzed in order for the Justice Department to make a recommendation as to whether or not a President grants a pardon," from the President. Was this series of analyzed steps followed when President Jerry Ford pardoned President Nixon even before he was tried; when President Carter pardoned all those draft resisters?

MR. SNOW: You know, that is one of the most preposterous comparisons I've ever heard. But having said that, let me just -- what you're asking is, should the President waive standard procedures in this case. And the answer is, no, we want to be careful about issuing pardons, and we're trying to be careful about the facts, which is why the Department of Justice is in the process of trying to get full transcripts of the trial of Agents Compean and Ramos, so you and everybody else who are willing to ask questions about this will be armed with facts.

Q Page one of The Washington Times quotes --

MR. SNOW: This is part three of a two-part question.

Q Yes.

MR. SNOW: This is the last one.

Q That's right, it is.

MR. SNOW: Thank you.

Q Forever?

Q Yes. (Laughter.)

Q Thank you. Page one of The Washington Times quotes Texas Republican Congressman Ted Poe, who deplored the conviction of Texas Deputy Sheriff Guillermo Hernandez, who fired shots at a fleeing vehicle with illegal aliens, saying, "This is another example of how the federal government is more concerned about people who are illegally invading America than it is about the men who protect America." And my question: Does the President believe that Texas Republican Poe, another Republican Congressman, and hundreds of thousands of petition signers on this issue are all wrong?

MR. SNOW: You have just conflated two entirely different stories, Les, and I want to congratulate you for it. I think what the President has done is spend more money on border security than any President in American history. And there have been more --

Q But the wall -- why isn't the wall in the budget? The wall was cut out.

MR. SNOW: It's a fence, and it is in the budget. Sorry.

Q The report is that it's not.

MR. SNOW: No, the report is about how much can be afforded, and that is a fiscal question.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MR. SNOW: You know, that is one of the most preposterous comparisons I've ever heard. But having said that, let me just -- what you're asking is, should the President waive standard procedures in this case. And the answer is, no, we want to be careful about issuing pardons, and we're trying to be careful about the facts, which is why the Department of Justice is in the process of trying to get full transcripts of the trial of Agents Compean and Ramos, so you and everybody else who are willing to ask questions about this will be armed with facts.
    First comment: the transcripts have mysteriously gone missing. No transcripts, no appeal.

Second comment: I imagine that if Ramo and Compean had been involved in smuggling drugs for the right people, the pardon would already have been issued.

Third comment: Tony Snow has shown himself to be an even more shameless pimp than even I gave him credit for.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

The President that is the Decider, that doesn't need to observe the Constitution, doesn't need to listen to advice of Congress, doesn't have to obey laws of Congress by signing statements, doesn't care about the opinions of any world leaders, must now follow some procedures to offer a pardon. Sure Tony Snowjob, It could happen.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The injuries sustained were minor in nature.
    Of course. But if Mr. Ramos beat up an illegal, that illegal would be "in critical condition" and flown to the closest cutting edge hospital with all the ice cream he could eat.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

The devil went down to Washington, and stole Tony Snow's soul, I wonder if he has even noticed that it is gone? I use to really like this guy, could I have been that wrong about someone? I guess so, I was wrong about his boss This has been the most awful day that I am now even asking questions and answering them myself, Yikes!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    The devil went down to Washington, and stole Tony Snow's soul, I wonder if he has even noticed that it is gone? I use to really like this guy, could I have been that wrong about someone? I guess so, I was wrong about his boss This has been the most awful day that I am now even asking questions and answering them myself, Yikes!
    What is it about washington DC that does this to people . Its like they ask them selves one day, do I want to be a corrupt person? yes I think I do!! :P well I better find a way to get to washington DC, Oh I know I can run for public office, all I have to is lie my way up there.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)