Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Prince Wm. Co: Hounding Immigrants UPDATED 7/10

Hounding Immigrants
    In Prince William, the poisonous fruit of congressional failure

Sunday, July 8, 2007; B06

THE SENATE'S failure last month to come to grips with immigration reform is certain to accelerate the nationwide trend of localities cracking down on undocumented foreigners in their midst. The impulse is understandable, if not always attractive: Towns, cities and counties bear the burden of providing immigrants with health care, education, law enforcement and other services. And in places with fast-growing communities of undocumented immigrants, native-born citizens tend to bristle at the problems sometimes associated with them -- gangs, flophouses, day workers thronging parking lots and a general clash of cultures.

The tensions have been particularly acute in Prince William County, a booming jurisdiction where Hispanics, who registered scarcely 10 percent of the population in 2000, now approach 20 percent. Prodded by angry constituents, the county Board of Supervisors looks set to adopt a resolution whose evident purpose is to harass illegal immigrants in hopes that they move elsewhere.

The resolution's sponsor, John T. Stirrup Jr. (R-Gainesville), believes that illegal immigrants are to blame for "economic hardship" and "lawlessness" in Prince William and that the county has encouraged immigrants to settle there by turning a blind eye to their status while providing them with services. Leave aside the dubious propositions that illegal immigrants are criminals -- prosecutors say most are law-abiding -- or that they've come because of county services rather than the availability of jobs. By seeking to make life miserable for immigrants, the county is likely also to make things a good deal worse for itself.

Mr. Stirrup's measure would have county police act as adjunct immigration agents, determining the status of anyone detained for any kind of violation. The county already reports serious crimes committed by undocumented immigrants to the feds, but this would cover even the lightest misdemeanors. That would be a difficult, time-consuming and in many cases impossible task for local police officers; small wonder they don't want to do it. The resolution also seeks to compel all other county agencies, schools included, to deny services to undocumented immigrants. Outrageously, it would empower any citizen to sue any county agency for failing to quiz immigrants about their residency status or for providing them with services. Tattletales of the world, unite!

The effects of Mr. Stirrup's proposal are apt to be poisonous. Does he really think that denying thousands of illegal immigrant children the right to attend school -- which the Supreme Court has granted them -- would contribute to social harmony? More likely, it would put a lot of youths on the street with little to do but make trouble. If police become immigration agents, immigrants will be leery of providing information and cooperating as witnesses to crimes, as police have said. If health clinics deny care to illegal immigrants or scare them off by asking about their status, that will make them only more likely to end up as uninsured, non-paying visitors to a hospital emergency room.

We doubt that Mr. Stirrup's measure would force many illegal immigrants to relocate. But if it did, they'd be more likely to move next door to Loudoun or Stafford counties than back to El Salvador or Mexico. What would be accomplished by such a beggar-thy-neighbor policy?

The resolution in Prince William, like other such laws and ordinances around the country, is a symptom of a larger failure by this country to devise a workable, realistic immigration system. The result will be a society that beckons to immigrants by offering them jobs with one hand, then slaps them around with the other once they are settled here. It's shameful, hypocritical and ugly. And it's what the Senate has bequeathed the nation by failing to enact meaningful reform.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00984.html

Please take note of the headline on this story. It was copied just as it appears with the article. There is a comment section following this piece that can be accessed with the above link. Perhaps their editorial team should hear a different perspective?

The story was moved. Use this link to comment........

Thanks, Girly, I changed my link.

Hounding Immigrants
    In Prince William, the poisonous fruit of congressional failure

Prodded by angry constituents, the county Board of Supervisors looks set to adopt a resolution whose evident purpose is to harass illegal immigrants in hopes that they move elsewhere.
    Enforcing our immigration laws is not hounding or harassing illegal aliens. It's simply a matter or enforcing our laws against illegal aliens...get it? U.S. citizens are sick and tired of the non-enforcement of our imigration laws. Citizens are angry at the burden illegal aliens put on our economy, social and medical systems. Illegal aliens not only have no right to be in the U.S. they have no right to work here. Citizens are angry of the tax burden imposed upon them that enables illegal aliens to avail themselves of local, state and governmental services. We, the citizens want our laws enforced. That is hardly harassing or hounding illegal aliens. That is simply re-establishing enforcement of the law. The American citizen, the American worker, the American taxpayer feels hounded and harassed by 20 million illegal aliens.

Tha above was sent as a comment to the article in the Washington Post.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I just left my comments on the Washington Post site. They are getting pounded; keep it up.

My thoughts - I guess it would be better to have these 'problem prone youths' in our schools thereby denying our children an education than it would be for law enforcement to deal with them as they should.

Also, if they don't like it - go back to Mexico or wherever. If the US is such a bad country, then go make your own into what you like -

Wait - I think they did and now there here to do the same for us.

Their constant mantra is that they need the illegals to feel free to talk with the police and report crime. Yes, the statement, on face, makes sense. Now the implied part is that we have to turn a blind eye to whatever they do in order to get them to cooperate. So maybe all car thieves, all muggers, all whatever, should be given a free pass so they will report on other people's crimes!!!!!!!!!

When we hear of the percentages of illegals in various places, is anyone getting the picture that the government should stop saying 12 million and WE should stop saying 20 million - I fear it the figure is much, much higher.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

When we hear of the percentages of illegals in various places, is anyone getting the picture that the government should stop saying 12 million and WE should stop saying 20 million - I fear it the figure is much, much higher.
    I feel certain that the government estimate of 12 million is certainly a lie. We all know it is much more than that. When has this administration and government ever not lied? I use 20 million when I post comments which is possibly closer to the truth but, I have seen reliable estimates of 30 milion. I may start using "20 to 30 million illegal aliens" whenever I reference numbers in my posts and comments to all publications.

Comment were great...
    but my favorite was
    Tupac_Goldstein wrote:
    Typo. Green card, not greed card. Greed card is one's Chamber of Commerce membership card.
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Hello! I am a new poster and wanted to share some more info concerning Stirrup's resolution.

http://helpsavemanassas.org/stirrupresolution.php

So far, here is what we believe the Supervisors intend to do:

Corey Stewart, Chairman: IN FAVOR
    John Sturrup, Gainesville: IN FAVOR
    Maureen Caddigan, Dumfries: SUPPORTS IN PRINCIPLE
    Mike May, Occoquan: SUPPORTS IN PRINCIPLE
    Marty Nohe, Coles: SUPPORTS IN PRINCIPLE
    Wally Covington, Brentsville: STRONGLY LEANING IN FAVOR
    John Jenkins, Neabsco: LEANING OPPOSED
    Hilda Barg, Woodbridge: OPPOSED

Candidates For Prince William County Board of Supervisors
    Chris Royse, Woodbridge (R): IN FAVOR
    Frank Principi, Woodbridge (D): NO POSITION
    Steve Keen, Woodbridge (I): NO POSITION
    Action Plan
    Contact Supervisors Caddigan, May, Nohe, Covington and Jenkins now and urge them to support this resolution. Please be polite, and make sure they understand why you feel it's important that this resolution be adopted. Feel free to use information from this page or the sanctuary policy page as your talking points.

Corey Stewart, Chairman
    McCoart Administration Building
    1 County Complex Court
    Prince William, VA 22192
    Phone: (703) 792-4640
    Fax: (703) 792-4637
    Aide: (703) 792-5626
    cstewart@pwcgov.org

Marty Nohe, Coles, Vice-Chairman
    4360 Ridgewood Center Drive
    Prince William, VA 22192
    Phone: (703) 792-4620
    Fax: (703) 792-4610
    Aide: (703) 792-4621
    mnohe@pwcgov.org

John Stirrup, Gainesville
    Sudley North Government Center
    7873 Ashton Avenue
    Manassas, VA 20109
    Phone: (703) 792-6195
    Fax: (703) 792-7664
    Aide: (703) 792-6196
    gainesville@pwcgov.org

Wally Covington, Brentsville
    8506 Wellington Road
    Suite 101
    Manassas, VA 20109
    Phone: (703) 792-6190
    Fax: (703) 257-9792
    Aide: (703) 792-6191
    wcovington@pwcgov.org

Mike May, Occoquan
    Chinn Park Library
    13083 Chinn Park Drive
    Prince William, VA 22192
    Phone: (703) 792-4643
    Fax: (703) 792-4833
    Aide: (703) 792-4644
    mcmay@pwcgov.org

Maureen Caddigan, Dumfries
    Dr. A.J. Ferlazzo Building
    15941 Donald Curtis Drive, Suite 145
    Woodbridge, VA 22191
    Phone: (703) 792-4645
    Fax: (703) 792-4622
    Aide: (703) 792-4648
    mcaddigan@pwcgov.org

John Jenkins, Neabsco
    4361 Ridgewood Center Drive
    Prince William, VA 22192
    Phone: (703) 792-4668
    Fax: (703) 792-4669
    Aide: (703) 792-4667
    jjenkins@pwcgov.org

Hilda Barg, Woodbridge
    Dr. A.J. Ferlazzo Building
    15941 Donald Curtis Drive, Suite 140
    Woodbridge, VA 22191
    Phone: (703) 792-4646
    Fax: (703) 792-4993
    Aide: (703) 792-4647
    hbarg@pwcgov.org
    I urge all members of this board, and casual readers as well, to email and call these individuals and let them know that you support Stirrup's resolution. The clock is ticking, so don't delay!

At the above link you can find out more information about the resolution. Don't believe the Washington Post's propaganda. (I commented on that article as well).

I apologize if this info has been posted elsewhere. Like I said, I am new to this board. I am hoping measures such as this can set an example for other cities, towns, etc. to follow.

Hi again. Just wanted to bump this one.

If you go to http://helpsavemanassas.org/stirrupresolution.php you can see who is supporting this measure and who is not.

Since the debate begins tomorrow, I want to encourage you guys to bombard the fence sitters with emails.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast