Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Police Chief to Brief Board on Immigrant Policy
    Meeting Comes After He Declined to Follow Chairman's Request Not to Meet With Mexican Consul

By Kristen Mack
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, March 30, 2008; PW01

Police Chief Charlie T. Deane's appearance before the Board of County Supervisors on Tuesday could get heated, following a dust-up last week with Chairman Corey A. Stewart.

Deane is scheduled to give the board an update on the first month of police enforcement of laws directed at detaining illegal immigrants. But his briefing comes after Stewart (R-At Large) tried to prevent Deane from having an informational community meeting with Mexican Consul General Enrique Escorza.

Deane had the meeting Thursday over Stewart's objections, saying that the board had directed him to reach out to the community as police officers begin checking the citizenship status of criminal suspects they believe may be in the country illegally. He said the meeting was one of many he has had to clear up misinformation and to quell fears about the scope of the county's illegal immigration policies.

An advance copy of the chief's Tuesday presentation on the first month of enforcement was light on details. Deane was unavailable for comment Friday.

"He will have specific numbers on Tuesday," Assistant County Executive Susan L. Roltsch said. "He prefers to save that discussion for the board."

Several board members have come to Deane's defense since Stewart's questioning of the chief last week over the meeting with the Mexican consul.

Supervisor Maureen S. Caddigan (R-Dumfries) said Deane has the support of a majority of the board.

"Our chief is doing what we asked him to do. He's communicating with the people and keeping us out of a lawsuit," Caddigan said. "Stewart does not have the authority he thinks he has as chairman. He needs to concur with the board before sending out directives."

Stewart acknowledged he does not have the authority to issue a directive on his own.

"I asked him not to go. I'm not going to get board approval before asking questions," Stewart said. "People shouldn't misinterpret my . . . questions as a sign that I don't support the chief. I do."

Caddigan said that members of the anti-illegal-immigrant group Help Save Manassas "dictated" the illegal immigration resolution to the board, but that the group will not determine how the chief carries it out.

"That's not going to happen," she said. "They've gone over the line."

Tuesday will be the first time the board gathers since an emergency meeting last week to vote on an advertised tax rate. Supervisors agreed to advertise the real estate tax rate at $1 for each $100 of assessed value.

If that rate is adopted, it would boost the average homeowner tax bill by 8.25 percent in the coming budget year.

Prince William has been hit particularly hard as real estate values have fallen and home foreclosures have increased. County property owners will begin receiving their assessments in the mail this week.

Most residential property owners will see a decrease in house value. The average assessed value of "existing improved," single-family houses decreased 14.8 percent -- from $413,898 to $352,570.

The residential decline was counteracted by growth in new construction and commercial property. Existing commercial and industrial property appreciated 4.34 percent.

www.washingtonpost.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I have been reviewing videos of Prince William on YOUTUBE to learn more about what they are doing to try to handle illegal immigration within their area. Our county is totally ignoring the situation and listening to those who are trying to do something and who are doing something can help. I know that the money situation seems to be the hindrance to cracking down on illegal immigration many will say, but there has to be so many dollars saved from services and benefits not extended to illegals. Plus, you are removing illegal and criminal behaviors from your cities and communities and giving citizens a change to hold jobs with decent wages.

The Police Chief has never seemed to be for addressing this situation head on in my opinion. It is sad when citizens report illegal aliens and possible criminal activities and they are made to feel like they have done something improper. Shouts of discrimination, harassment, racism just for asking that laws be followed.

Ephesians 4:32
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Very interesting to me!! Last summer my city discussed, voted, took back, voted again to apply for 287g. We had boycotts, protests -high drama. The mayor met with groups to appease them. Madness. Even William was in town to witness this event.

Then in December our county sheriff, whose jail is in our town, just announced that he already applied, done deal, and that who basically in their right minds would disagree with getting criminals off the streets who are illegal aliens.

When a group of activists wanted to meet with him he just said thanks, but no thanks. Now that's the way to do it.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Video at the source link.
    ~~

Stewart Blasted At Meeting On Immigration Enforcement

POSTED: 5:22 pm EDT April 1, 2008
    UPDATED: 11:43 pm EDT April 1, 2008

PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY, Va. -- A Prince William County Board of Supervisors meeting on immigration enforcement took an unexpected turn on Tuesday.

The board was to receive an update from the police chief on the county's crackdown on illegal immigration, but board Chairman Corey Stewart, the architect of the plan, instead was attacked.

A dozen residents, including the head of the police officer's association, blasted Stewart.

Some focused on the consequences of the illegal immigration crackdown he spearheaded. Others were angry about criticism he leveled at Police Chief Charlie Deane.

Stewart suggested a meeting Deane had last week with the Mexican General Consul and Latino residents was inappropriate and possibly illegal.

"I am appalled that you, Corey Stewart, have publicly attacked our chief," said former county Supervisor Hilda Barg.

"To you Corey, I say, 'If you cannot lead us, we must have a leader. Please leave us,'" Barg said.

"Bar none, every single person I talk to was angry, disappointed and very upset at your flippant, arrogant remarks. They do nothing more than add poison to this situation, and it is disgusting," said resident Skip Brown.

Other speakers begged the board to reconsider the policy implemented last month allowing police to check the citizenship status of those arrested in the county if they think they may be in the country illegal.

A woman who once sponsored a fundraiser for Stewart highlighted a Web site created by supporters of Stewart that likens illegal immigrants to dog food.

"The person I know would never have a relationship with somebody who would post vileness like this," she said.

Before the meeting, Stewart defended his meeting with the Mexican official.

The controversy overshadowed the police chief's update on the crackdown. Deane departed from his planned remarks to address the questions.

"This meeting was neither a violation of law, State Department protocol, nor was it unprecedented," he said.

The chief said the meeting was one of 77 he has had in the community to allay fears about the policy.

Deane said in the first month of the crackdown, the police had contact with 89 people suspected of being in the country illegally.

In his first briefing to the county supervisors since a crackdown on illegal immigration began March 3rd, Deane said that most were questioned during traffic stops and calls for service and 41 were arrested on various charges and taken to the county's adult detention center.

In the fall, the board voted to direct officers to check the residency status of crime suspects they think might be in the country illegally. Some in the immigrant community are concerned that the program will be used to profile Latino residents.

Since July, when the county began implementing federal immigration laws, the county has detained almost 700 people.

http://www.nbc4.com/news/15765600/detai ... c&psp=news
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

If the police was as concerned for LEGAL citizens as he is for ILLEGALS he would do a much better job! Just follow the money "my friends".

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar
    You're right. Why hasn't the police chief had 77 meetings with the LEGAL residents assuring them that the law would be enforced and how it would be implemented? It's a slap in the face the way these officials coddle the ILLEGAL population.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12