Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Protest calls for boycott of businesses (Nativo Lopez)

http://www.dailypilot.com/front/story/3 ... 4854c.html

Protest calls for boycott of businesses
    Group opposed to city's immigration policy announces boycott, which local leaders call futile.

By Alicia Robinson
    (Published: February 1, 2006)

A Santa Ana-based immigrant rights group that opposes Costa Mesa's immigration enforcement decision today planned to repeat its call for a boycott of Costa Mesa businesses and for civil disobedience.

Local leaders disparaged the boycott plan as divisive and unproductive.

Nativo Lopez, a spokesman for Hermandad Mexicana Latinoamericana, first called for the boycott in late January. On Wednesday he announced he'll take the issue to Costa Mesa City Hall, where he planned a press conference for today.

Lopez, along with several local labor unions and Latino advocacy groups, wants to force the Costa Mesa City Council to reconsider plans to train police to do immigration checks on people suspected of serious crimes.

The city's plan is still being developed, and no police have yet had training from federal immigration authorities.

Protesters intend to create a sign to post in businesses that oppose the city's plan, and to avoid businesses that won't post the sign, Lopez said. He also will urge people not to cooperate with police, though he doesn't advocate violence, confrontation or resisting arrest.

"You have to demonstrate that without the cooperation of the populace, the police cannot do its job, and there's no reason for people to cooperate if they run the risk of being a target of inquiries about their status," Lopez said.

He added that the tactics could be expanded around Orange County if Sheriff Mike Carona proceeds with plans to train deputies for immigration enforcement.

As the only commercial business operator on the council, Councilman Gary Monahan may take a more personal hit if many people participate in the boycott.

Protesters on Wednesday scrambled to organize in time for an evening fundraiser for state Senate candidate Diane Harkey at Skosh Monahan's, the councilman's restaurant.

Protesters oppose Harkey because she co-chaired the failed initiative to form a state border police force, said organizer Naui Huitzilopochtli, who is a member of the immigrant advocacy group the Tonantzin Collective.

And because Monahan voted for the immigration enforcement plan, his restaurant is "a perfect target for us," Huitzilopochtli said.

Monahan said the protest wouldn't change his mind.

"I walked outside my door and got called an ... [expletive] four times in 15 seconds.... This is not an educational protest; it's confrontational, and if they think they're going to convince this council member that what we did was wrong, this is not the way to do it," he said.

He was unconcerned about a possible boycott.

"My customers are loyal," he said. "This will not scare them away."

Costa Mesa Chamber of Commerce President Ed Fawcett said he hasn't heard any concerns from local businesses about the possible boycott.

Fawcett does not support the city's immigration enforcement proposal, which was led by Mayor Allan Mansoor, but he said a boycott would unjustly punish businesses.

"This approach to solving the problem is not productive," Fawcett said. "I'm opposed to it just as strongly as I'm opposed to Mansoor's plan."

Mansoor dismissed Lopez's protest as "just trying to stir the pot."

The protest effort may increase the workload for Costa Mesa Police Chief John Hensley, who has been meeting with community groups to explain the immigration plan. Failing to cooperate with police won't help victims of crime, he said.

"I'm going to constantly get the message out that we do not want to be enemies of the community," Hensley said.

To Councilwoman Katrina Foley, an open and honest debate is exactly what's been missing since the council voted to pursue the immigration plan in December. Foley was one of two council members who voted against the plan.

"It's a political stunt that the mayor has pulled, and we're all suffering the consequences of it," she said.

"There's no dialogue going on; there's been no committee set up to vet concerns and come up with a fair, compassionate, responsible plan; there is no discussion. There's basically a lot of attacks and controversy."

Councilman Eric Bever, who voted in favor of the immigration enforcement plan, and Councilwoman Linda Dixon, who opposed it, did not return calls for comment.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printeditio ... california

A Plea -- and Warning -- for Costa Mesa Businesses
    Activists say those who don't oppose the city's immigration efforts will be boycotted.

By Jennifer Delson
    Times Staff Writer

February 3, 2006

Immigrant-rights advocates on Thursday urged Costa Mesa businesses to fight the city's plan to use police to enforce immigration laws when arresting suspected felons and warned of a boycott if they didn't.

They also urged residents to immediately stop cooperating with Costa Mesa police in crime investigations, and they announced plans for an April 1 protest at Costa Mesa City Hall.

Organizers said businesses needed to take a stand. "There is no neutrality where there is injustice," said Nativo V. Lopez, an activist from neighboring Santa Ana. Lopez said he would tell business owners: "If I consume from your establishment … I call upon you to stand with me when I become the target of a discriminatory, racist policy."

Backers of the policy, led by Mayor Allan Mansoor, say it's a crime-prevention effort to deal with illegal immigrants who commit serious crimes. But opponents say it has already frightened illegal and legal immigrants. Specifics of the policy are still being drafted, and it is not in effect.

The policy and the boycott threat drew a mixed response from Edgar Fawcett, president of the Costa Mesa Chamber of Commerce, which has 489 members.

Fawcett opposes a boycott. "I disagree with this approach to solving a problem," he said. "It's saying, ' … 'One guy did me dirty, so I'll punish the little guy next to me.' That's inappropriate."

But, he said, he doesn't agree with Mansoor, and he called the policy "heavy-handed."

Police Chief John D. Hensley couldn't be reached for comment about the recommendation for noncooperation with police. But the mayor said such a strategy was a mistake. "I have concerns about what this means for public safety," he said.

The announcement of the boycott and other plans were made by a coalition of six community organizations and two labor unions calling themselves Citizens for Constitutional Rights.

Its members include Los Amigos of Orange County, a civic organization; Lopez's immigrant-rights group, Hermandad Mexicana Latinoamericana; the Service Employees International Union Local 1877; and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 3299.

They have been alarmed since the Costa Mesa council voted 3 to 2 in December to ask U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to train 40 police. The request has not yet been forwarded to the federal government for consideration.

The training, supporters argue, would help the officers work better with federal agents to verify the immigration status of felony suspects. If a suspect were found to be an illegal immigrant, police would report that to federal officials, who could start deportation proceedings.

The mayor, also a sheriff's deputy, conceived the idea of using local police to enforce immigration laws. The policy was molded by other council members to look more like a proposal already submitted to federal authorities by Sheriff Michael S. Carona.

The group of immigrant advocates, which is printing 10,000 posters, will ask businesses to place in their windows a sign that measures about 1 by 2 feet. It reads in red letters, "No Carona-Mansoor police Migra Plan." The word "migra" refers to federal immigration authorities.

Latino activists argue that the policy would increase racial profiling and create distrust among immigrants, who would be reluctant to report crimes. And they fear it would become a model that would be accepted elsewhere. Already Garden Grove is considering a similar measure.

"We feel this will encourage discrimination, fear and harassment," said Gilbert Avila, director of organizing for the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union Local 324.

The mayor said the activists should not oppose a measure that would help enforce the law and questioned why people from outside the city, including Lopez, an ousted Santa Ana school board member, were involved.

Several businesses contacted said they would not display the signs.

Randy Garell, owner of the Grant Boys outdoor activities supply store, said putting up a sign "is a no-win situation. You will make someone mad…. We just don't put up political signs period, no matter who they are for."

Restaurant owner Mirna Burciaga, a former City Council candidate, said she and other business owners were alarmed when they heard about the boycott and suggested it not be conducted until the business community had a chance to respond. That's why the group decided to post the signs before boycotting, Lopez said.

"It's not fair that our community is afraid because of what's been proposed," said Burciaga, who joined the Lopez coalition and will post the sign. "The business community needs to step up and say, 'This is not just.' "
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn