Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Got this letter from the University president:

Dear xxxxxx:

While I personally found the art project disgusting, since I would never disrespect the flag, our American First Amendment protections include the right to free speech and artistic expression, even speech that is repugnant and unpleasant and offensive. UMF, as a teaching and learning institution, has an obligation to foster debate and disagreement about difficult subjects -- this is an essential part of our democracy. Thanks for your expression of your point of view. And if you yourself are a veteran, then my deepest thanks for your service and sacrifice. Sincerely, Theodora J. Kalikow, President. P.S. UMF welcomed a demonstration last Thursday of about 100 veterans in support of the flag. It was respectfully received by faculty, students and staff.

Here's my response:

Quite frankly, I would rather you had a object lesson with your students. Have a day that they bring something that they hold dear. Something that someone has sacrificed to give them. Then have them throw it in a dumpster and walk away. Tell them they will never see it again. See what kind of screams you'll get then. Teach them more than their "rights." Teach them RESPONSIBILITY.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Gogo--

I wish I had sent something more like you did. I sent an email in anger and called him a disgrace to America.

Re: Gogo--

Quote Originally Posted by misterbill
    I wish I had sent something more like you did. I sent an email in anger and called him a disgrace to America.
    That's OK. They got the message I'm sure.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't think I want to watch this video. I might break my foot with my monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish
    I don't think I want to watch this video. I might break my foot with my monitor.
    I sure sympathize with that sentiment. But more than making me angry it makes me disgusted and very sad. There can be no freedom without respect and responsibility. These people continually miss that point

I know we must control ourselves on this nice site--

I know we must control ourselves on this site--so I will simply say I sure would like to show those young lizards my definition of freedom of expression.

Deport the tratiors....
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

April
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    Got this letter from the University president:

Dear xxxxxx:

While I personally found the art project disgusting, since I would never disrespect the flag, our American First Amendment protections include the right to free speech and artistic expression, even speech that is repugnant and unpleasant and offensive. UMF, as a teaching and learning institution, has an obligation to foster debate and disagreement about difficult subjects -- this is an essential part of our democracy. Thanks for your expression of your point of view. And if you yourself are a veteran, then my deepest thanks for your service and sacrifice. Sincerely, Theodora J. Kalikow, President. P.S. UMF welcomed a demonstration last Thursday of about 100 veterans in support of the flag. It was respectfully received by faculty, students and staff.

Here's my response:

Quite frankly, I would rather you had a object lesson with your students. Have a day that they bring something that they hold dear. Something that someone has sacrificed to give them. Then have them throw it in a dumpster and walk away. Tell them they will never see it again. See what kind of screams you'll get then. Teach them more than their "rights." Teach them RESPONSIBILITY.
    Good job gogo!

If I ever see this happening as a deliberate gesture of someone trying to desecrate the flag, I will take the matter into my own hands, the hell with the consequences. Sometimes you just have to stand up for what's right. Sometimes you have to set an example.
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12