Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Protests Surprise Authorities

Welcome AccessNorthGa.com NEWS-News Main-News By County-State Size of L.A. March Surprises Authorities

By PETER PRENGAMAN
    Associated Press Writer

AP Photo/ANN JOHANSSON

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Thousands of immigration advocates marched through downtown Los Angeles in one of the largest demonstrations for any cause in recent U.S. history.

More than 500,000 protesters - demanding that Congress abandon attempts to make illegal immigration a felony and to build more walls along the border - surprised police who estimated the crowd size using aerial photographs and other techniques, police Cmdr. Louis Gray Jr. said.

Wearing white T-shirts to symbolize peace, the demonstrators chanted "Mexico!" "USA!" and "Si se puede," an old Mexican-American civil rights shout that means "Yes, we can."

In Denver, more than 50,000 people protested downtown Saturday, according to police who had expected only a few thousand. Phoenix was similarly surprised Friday when an estimated 20,000 people gathered for one of the biggest demonstrations in city history, and more than 10,000 marched in Milwaukee on Thursday.

"We construct your schools. We cook your food," rapper Jorge Ruiz said after performing at a Dallas rally that drew 1,500. "We are the motor of this nation, but people don't see us. Blacks and whites, they had their revolution. They had their Martin Luther King. Now it is time for us."

Many protesters said lawmakers were unfairly targeting immigrants who provide a major labor pool for America's economy.

"Enough is enough of the xenophobic movement," said Norman Martinez, 63, who immigrated from Honduras as a child and marched in Los Angeles. "They are picking on the weakest link in society, which has built this country."

The U.S. House of Representatives has passed legislation that would make it a felony to be in the U.S. illegally, impose new penalties on employers who hire illegal immigrants, require churches to check the legal status of people they help, and erect fences along one-third of the U.S.-Mexican border.

This man says he opposes the tougher immigration bill.

'We're Trying to Have a Better Life'

LATEST NEWS
    Police Find 6 Shot Dead in Northern Mexico
    Stressed Mexican Police Chief Resigns

Mexican Government Fines Sheraton Hotel

Police Chief of Mexican Border City Resigns

Hispanic-Owned Businesses Growing Quickly

The Senate is to begin debating the proposals on Tuesday.

President Bush on Saturday called for legislation that does not force America to choose between being a welcoming society and a lawful one.

"America is a nation of immigrants, and we're also a nation of laws," Bush said in his weekly radio address, discussing an issue that had driven a wedge into his own party.

Bush sides with business leaders who want to let some of the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants stay in the country and work for a set period of time. Others, including Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, say national security concerns should drive immigration reform.

But many protesters rejected claims the national security claim, noting that the legislation would hurt Hispanics the most.

"When did you ever see a Mexican blow up the World Trade Center? Who do you think built the World Trade Center?" said David Gonzalez, 22, who marched in Los Angeles with a sign that read, "I'm in my homeland.'"

Between 5,000 and 7,000 people gathered Saturday in Charlotte, carrying signs with slogans such as "Am I Not a Human Being?" In Sacramento, more than 4,000 people protested immigration legislation at an annual march honoring the late farm labor leader Cesar Chavez.

The demonstrations are expected to culminate April 10 in a "National Day of Action" organized by labor, immigration, civil rights and religious groups.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/ ... 5-02-15-35
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

March Surprises Authorities
    What authorities ??? Does America have any ???
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They're hiding, just like the Charlotte police. What a joke.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

One illegal named Jose, who wished to not have any of his 29 fake last names be used, protesting in Spanish, telling reporters through a translator, how important the millions of his fellow illegal aliens benefit America in so many ways.

"We rape your women, we molest and impregnate your children, we carjack and steal your cars, we bankrupt your hospitals and flood your schools and jails. We help to create many jobs, like in the prison system, translation services, money transfer operations and criminal defense attorneys, parole officers, baby delivery doctors, domestic violence and rape counselors. We help to employ numerous welfare office workers, grafitti clean-up crews, bilingual teachers, gated window and door installers, Lo-Jack technicians and food stamp printers. We also create many new jobs in the government social service sector like MediCare, WIC/AFDC, Section 8 housing, SSI, Border Patrol agents, Customs, DEA agents and prison guards. And we save the IRS money by reducing the amount of tax returns they have to process by not paying any taxes. Our sales tax benefits the economy, especially with huge purchases of beer, tequila, spray paint and Mexican flags. I can't believe how people say we don't contribute to America, when we help to employ so many people, and all we demand is to have everything that most real U.S. citizens are not entitled to, like free healthcare, low cost and free college tuition, welfare and food stamps, and anything else we can think of, that's all."
    [b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€

Great post, reptile!! As a fellow citizen of Mexifornia, I just had to chuckle!
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Re: Protests Surprise Authorities

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    'We're Trying to Have a Better Life'
    Tell it to Viscente Fox. We want a better life also, and you are stealing it from us.

Los Angeles Police Department
    Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
    Baldwin Park Police Department
    Charlotte-Mecklenberg Police Department

Yet another police force added to the list thar refuses to enforce the laws its officers swore to uphold

One illegal named Jose, who wished to not have any of his 29 fake last names be used, protesting in Spanish, telling reporters through a translator, how important the millions of his fellow illegal aliens benefit America in so many ways.

"We rape your women, we molest and impregnate your children, we carjack and steal your cars, we bankrupt your hospitals and flood your schools and jails. We help to create many jobs, like in the prison system, translation services, money transfer operations and criminal defense attorneys, parole officers, baby delivery doctors, domestic violence and rape counselors. We help to employ numerous welfare office workers, grafitti clean-up crews, bilingual teachers, gated window and door installers, Lo-Jack technicians and food stamp printers. We also create many new jobs in the government social service sector like MediCare, WIC/AFDC, Section 8 housing, SSI, Border Patrol agents, Customs, DEA agents and prison guards. And we save the IRS money by reducing the amount of tax returns they have to process by not paying any taxes. Our sales tax benefits the economy, especially with huge purchases of beer, tequila, spray paint and Mexican flags. I can't believe how people say we don't contribute to America, when we help to employ so many people, and all we demand is to have everything that most real U.S. citizens are not entitled to, like free healthcare, low cost and free college tuition, welfare and food stamps, and anything else we can think of, that's all."
    ROFLMAO!

I needed that, Reptile. I called Cornyn's office awhile ago and lost my cool when the woman on the phone told me that Senator Cornyn is AGAINST amnesty. He wrote a bill for a guest worker bill, climbed in bed with Kennedy to make them citizens, yet he claims that he opposes amnesty.

What I mainly asked was why are they even talking about this stuff I'm hearing on C-Span with the borders still wide open. She didn't know.

She will pass my comments along, as usual.