Questions about Chelsea at polling place

Also on the web

Here's the link to the statute -- Sec. 9-236

Posted Feb. 5, 2008
Updated 7:25 PM

(WTNH) _ This might cause a headache for Sen. Hillary Clinton's campaign in Connecticut. It's Chelsea Clinton inside a New Haven polling place at 6:00 a.m.

So why might this be an issue? According to state law, candidates or a candidate's representative, such as someone wearing a sign, have to stay 75-feet away from polling places "on the day of any primary".
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap146.htm#Sec9-236.htm

The daughter of the Democratic presidential candidate was delivering a box of coffee to poll workers and talking with a firefighter in New Haven. According to a News Channel 8 photographer who was there, when the moderator announced that the polls are open, Clinton immediately went outside.

"I did not consider it an issue because she didn't come here, as far as I'm concerned, to influence anything here or disrupt us," said New Haven election moderator Nilda Torres.

The Clinton incident prompted an e-mail from the Secretary of the State's office to the New Haven Registrar of Voters, reminding them of the 75-foot law.

A statement from Clinton campaign spokesman Philippe Reines said, "A live TV interview being conducted by WTNH at the site delayed her departure until just after 6, at which point she immediately left the station."

The WTNH news crew says there was ample room for Clinton to leave the voting area during their live report.

In a live interview on News Channel 8 at 5:00, Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz said, "I did speak with the Clinton campaign this afternoon and they apologized and said it wouldn't happen again."

No one has filed a formal complaint with the state Elections Enforcement Commission about Chelsea Clinton's early morning visit.

The Elections Enforcement Division says it's never had to interpret whether "on the day of any primary" means when the polls open at 6:00 a.m., or when the day starts at 12:01 a.m.

"Any citizen can file a complaint with Election's Enforcement, and they are in charge of enforcing the election laws in our state," Secretary Bysiewicz said. "It's our job to advise people what the law is and we did do that early this morning."

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=7827524