http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs. ... BUSINESS04

Raid critics gather for Des Moines rally
RAID AFTERMATH: COMMUNITY SUPPORT

December 15, 2006

An air of mourning and cries for justice prevailed Thursday night in Des Moines at an immigration rally attended by about 150 people outside the Federal Building.

Latinos and non-Latinos - including union members, clergy, lawyers, advocates for immigrants and other concerned people - chanted "Si se puente," meaning "Yes we can," and "Immigration reform now."

The gathering was sponsored by a coalition that included the American Friends Service Committee, Catholic Charities and Citizens for Community Improvement.

Sandra Sanchez of the American Friends Service Committee said, "Immigration is broken. It doesn't work for workers; it doesn't work for employers; it doesn't work for families, and doesn't work for taxpayers."

She added, "These are flagrant violations of civil rights, and we cannot afford to do that because we are a beacon of justice and hope for people less fortunate than ourselves."

Carl Ariston, an official of the United Food Commercial Workers Union, which represents employees at five of the six Swift & Co. plants raided Tuesday, said federal officers taking part in the raids "have been given carte blanche to terrorize 13,000 workers, their families and communities."

_____

Comments to this story:

Yes, definitely let your representatives know that you approve of the raids against the illegals which were done at the Swift plants.

They are not citizens of this country. They have the right to be treated fairly and humanely until they are deported. They do not have to be separated from their children, as the children are free to leave with the parents.

Contact your represenatives ASAP. Let them know that you do not support amnesty, comprehensive immigration reform, a guest worker program--or anything else that they want to call amnesty. All illegals need to be deported back to their own countries!!

Tell them that you want the 14th Amendment revised--no more anchor babies!!

Tell them that you want our current immigration laws enforced against the employers and the illegal aliens. We want our borders closed and secured NOW!!

What do their signs say---"stop this abuse of power?" It is abuse of power because we are finally enforcing our laws?

Go back to your own countries----demand rights/benefits there. March in the streets with your Mexican, communist, etc. flags there as well. Yell your anti-American slogans and your pro-Aztlan/reconquista BS there.

The US and US citizens are not morally or financially responsible for Mexico or Mexico's citizens--or invaders from any other country as well!!

Raid on illegal aliens Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:16 pm
It's good to see so many people who support enforcement of immigration laws. I hope everyone has expressed these sentiments to your federal senators and congressman by calling their offices at 1-866-340-9281.

In addition, the group NumbersUSA group keeps Americans apprised of immigration issues and congressional actions pending.

Go to their website at www.numbersusa.com and "subscribe" by scrolling down to "Join Activist network" on the right sidebar.

The NumbersUSA website enables sending free faxes to your elected officials, and has been instrumental in defeating illegal alien amnesty since 2000, when George Bush and Vicente Fox promised it during their campaigns.

Cry me a River Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:27 pm
Oh, the poor things. Living in fear, being terrorized by the evil ICE, families being split up. Don't stand for it any longer, LEAVE!!!! That would just break my heart. *S*

ILLEGALS Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:16 pm
Is seems they still do not understand they are ILLEGAL. May ICE should start busting people waving the mexican *** and speaking the spanish.
I guess they are like children who don't get there way, Say its everyone elses fault and yell racist..
Maybe we should put them in time out..
BOOOHOOOO....

Illegal Immigrants for a reason Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:09 pm
Maybe it is just me but as i remember illegal means against the law.

Should the American People simply not enforce the laws of the country because immigrants do not approve of our laws?

Come to us legally, learn to speak our language, or stay home.

Reader Comment Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:05 pm
ALL THE CHILDREN THAT ARE LEFT WITHOUT ANY MOMS AND DADS BECAUSE OF THIS ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION RAID,DIDNT THEY KNOW THAT IF THEY WERE CAUGHT THAT THIS WOULD HAPPEN TO THIER CHILDREN???YOU ADVOCATES NEED TO STOP TRYING TO MAKE AMERICANS FEEL GUILTY FOR THE LAW THAT THEY BROKE!I WILL BE MORE THAN GLAD TO HELP OUT WITH THE CHILDREN,BUT DONT TRY TO MAKES US FEEL LIKE THIS RAID SHOULD OF NEVER HAPPENED.

Reader Comment Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:32 am
ˈterrorist noun

a person who tries to frighten people or governments into doing what he/she wants by using or threatening violence
Example: The plane was hijacked by terrorists; (also adjective) terrorist activities

Why? Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:25 am
Why as an American would anyone want to defend someone who has to lie and steal to acquire "working" status and citizenship? Who are they fooling? Have they thought anything through? Yes these are people, human beings, but their BETRAYAL was an attempt to have equal status...this makes no sense to me.
Have you people forgotten why we have become so PROACTIVE with border security? Does 09/11/01 ring a bell? Terrorism is real. How do you know that one illegal immigrant is NOT a terrorist? They stole names, Social Security Numbers, money (wages obtained illegally), healthcare, education and it goes on. How can anyone trust someone who is living a life as one, yet is someone different?
If you found out "John Doe" at work was really "John ****" what would you do? How would you react? What could happen to this person? WHY was he using another identity?

Reader Comment Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:24 am
Nothing brings about a warm fuzzy-welcome to Iowa feeling more than yelling leftists slogans in Spanish and waiving mexican flags in the faces of Iowa citizens.

Reader Comment Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:55 am
I think Ms. Sanchez's green card should be checked? Just to make sure she is a LEGAL immigrant...There could be a plane ride waiting for her.