Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rally for Romney, Conservatives Need to Act Now

National Review Online
    January 31, 2008 1:15 PM

Rally for Romney
    Conservatives need to act now, before it is too late.

By Mark R. Levin

I have spent nearly four decades in the conservative movement — from precinct worker to the Reagan White House. I campaigned for Reagan in 1976 and 1980. I served in several top positions during the Reagan administration, including chief of staff to Attorney General Edwin Meese. I have been an active conservative when conservatism was not in high favor.

I remember in 1976, as a 19-year-old in Pennsylvania working the polls for Reagan against the sitting Republican president, Gerald Ford, I was demeaned for supporting a candidate who was said to be an extremist B-actor who couldn’t win a general election, and opposing a sitting president. And at the time Reagan wasn’t even on the ballot in Pennsylvania because he decided to focus his limited resources on other states. I tried to convince voter after voter to write-in Reagan’s name on the ballot. In the end, Reagan received about five percent of the Republican vote as a write-in candidate.

Of course, Reagan lost the nomination to Ford by the narrowest of margins. Ford went on to lose to a little-known ex-governor from Georgia, Jimmy Carter. But the Reagan Revolution became stronger, not weaker, as a result. And the rest is history.

I don’t pretend to speak for President Reagan or all conservatives. I speak for myself. But I watched the Republican debate last night, which was held at the Reagan library, and I have to say that I fear a McCain candidacy. He would be an exceedingly poor choice as the Republican nominee for president.

Let’s get the largely unspoken part of this out the way first. McCain is an intemperate, stubborn individual, much like Hillary Clinton. These are not good qualities to have in a president. As I watched him last night, I could see his personal contempt for Mitt Romney roiling under the surface. And why? Because Romney ran campaign ads that challenged McCain’s record? Is this the first campaign in which an opponent has run ads questioning another candidate’s record? That’s par for the course. To the best of my knowledge, Romney’s ads have not been personal. He has not even mentioned the Keating-Five to counter McCain's cheap shots. But the same cannot be said of McCain’s comments about Romney.

Last night McCain, who is the putative frontrunner, resorted to a barrage of personal assaults on Romney that reflect more on the man making them than the target of the attacks. McCain now has a habit of describing Romney as a “manager for profitâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Tonight on the cnn dem debates , both of them called for
    open and free amnesty for all illegals

McCain shares the same thoughts with them

Either we push Romney now or we get about 50 million new
    "citizens"

reserve your cardboard condo now , beat the rush

Did Ya'll catch what Oboma said about CIR in the debate tonight?
    " I even worked with John McCain even though now he won't admit it"
    I really like Ron Paul and his views but as of today I am going to have to board the Romney train to try and stop McHillary. Dear Lord I hope a viable Independent enters the race. We may have to focus on the Senate and House this election cycle.[/quote]

Marc Levin is a blowhard who has drank more than his share of the Kool-Aid. Now he he has been elevated to the position of pouring the Kool-Aid. IMHO he does a lousy job at that.

It is evident that Juan McCain is no conservitive. His ambitions are and have been no secret. The Republican Party has thrown the conservitives, the base which it has half-heartedly courted, UNDER the bus. How many times? John McCain has been aware of this conservitive, Christian base problem for along time. Times are changing, demographics are changing, John McCain and the Republican elites know this. Hence all of the liberal looking canidates representing the Republicans this time around. (Ron Paul and a few others, which recieved no nods of approval excluded.)

Abortion will keep a segment of the party in line, as the Dems will not and cannot change their position. 2nd Ammendment issues will keep another segment of the Republican party stepping steadfast, this ofcourse will change with time as the newer demographics play a larger and larger role in the bigger picture aswell as the past infringements in this area that will begin to show more and more as time goes on. The damage that has been done will be hard to repair. Other conservitive issues will of course hold more of the base hostage. (There is at this time no place to run)

My point being Juan McCain will court to the Hispanic block. The party knows they need to get as much of this block as possible. This is the fastest growing block of VOTERS, and this will only continue to grow. Under the best of conditions during the past elections the Republicans and the Democrats are locked into VERY close races. Hence the race to court to the Hispanic block.

IMHO conservitives are fast approaching the cross-roads. I am one. I will throw the party under the bus! IF Billary wins, all is not lost. Congress makes laws not the President. Arrogance need not be rewarded. Short memories need not be rewarded. (2006 the party threw it's own conservitives under the bus.) Now we conservitives are being fed this wonderfully competitive line-up of conservitive canidates.

Marc Levin and most of the other talking heads told conservitives we would have to support our reps. back in 2006. Conservitives will and are being told the same again. Just drink the Kool-Aid and all will be well! Bah! The Republican Party needs to walk the talk, til then they should be thrown under the bus and run over time again with studded snow tires.

Remember those that went along with the McCain-Kennedy when re-election time comes along. Maybe democrats will do the same.

I am optomistic through all of this. I have had to implement tough love with my children. I will use this on the kids in Washington. (actually I did not use studded snow tires on my children ) Libs need not call child protective services on me.

"We say: 'A la guerre comme a la guerre'; we do not promise any freedom, nor any democracy." Friedrich Engels

Mark Levin is an excellent, articulate talk radio host, and I'm glad he's spreading the word about McCain's liberal record.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

bttt