Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rampant fraud puts stop to U.S. refugee program

Rampant fraud puts stop to U.S. refugee program
    DNA confirms fewer than 20% telling truth about family ties

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: December 13, 2008
    7:40 pm Eastern

© 2008 WorldNetDaily

State Department officials have suspended a program that allows refugees in the U.S. to bring family members into the country after an investigation revealed widespread fraud in the system.

Since the 1980's, the State Department has granted refugee family members who are left behind in war-torn countries priority-3 access to the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program on a case-by-case basis.

After suspicions of fraud were raised last year – often involving unrelated children being claimed as family – the State Department conducted DNA testing of 3,000 applicants to the program, to see if they were actually related to the family members they claimed.

In more than 80 percent of the cases, the applicants either refused to take the tests or were discovered to have DNA that didn't match their reported family members.

"We were alarmed that the rate was so high," a State Department official – who spoke on condition of anonymity as a matter of departmental policy – told the Washington Post. "In fewer than 20 percent of cases did the applicant take the test and it checked out."

Seyoum Berhe, an official of refugee services for the Catholic Archdiocese of Arlington, told the Post there are legitimate humanitarian reasons the DNA doesn't always match.

"A village is burning. People are running. Someone grabs a child and ends up raising him. The DNA may not be the same, but in every other way, he is the parent," said Berhe. "We certainly do not support fraud, but there is a human aspect, too. If my brother were killed in Somalia and I saved his child, according to our culture, that child is mine."

State Department officials confirmed that while many informal or wartime adoptions are impossible to document, such a high rate of unmatched DNA leads to other, very real concerns.

"We are sympathetic," a State Department official told the Post, "but when people lie about blood relationships, it raises fears that we may be facilitating child trafficking or that people are trying to bring in their servants."

The State Department began DNA testing in Africa, where, in recent years, over 95 percent of the refugee family applications originated. After a sample testing in Kenya revealed a high rate of fraud, tests were extended throughout the continent.

Most of the applications for access to the priority-3 Refugee Family Reunification Program, or P-3, have come for family members from Somalia, Ethiopia, and Liberia. Since Oct. 1, 2003, the State Department reports, 36,000 refugees have come to America from Africa through the P-3 program, while only 400 have come from other areas of the world in the same time span.

The State Department's website on the issue reports that while some applications are still being processed, no new applications are being accepted from any nationality until measures can be put in place to cut down on the fraud.

"The Department is working closely with the Department of Homeland Security to develop and implement new procedures for verifying family relationship claims," reports the State Department. "These new procedures will likely include DNA testing. The P-3 program in Africa remains suspended as noted above until we have finalized and implemented these new measures."

www.worldnetdaily.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Rampant fraud puts stop to U.S. refugee program

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    "A village is burning. People are running. Someone grabs a child and ends up raising him. The DNA may not be the same, but in every other way, he is the parent," said Berhe. "We certainly do not support fraud, but there is a human aspect, too. If my brother were killed in Somalia and I saved his child, according to our culture, that child is mine."
    This is more of that "it takes a village to raise a child" crap that Hillary tries to ram down people's throats. Hillary doesn't care about "villages" at all since she doesn't care about what what happens to Americans who are murdered by illegal aliens.

Numbers has an action on their site to fax Bush and thank him for suspending this. Theres not much to thank him for normaly, but this is one that does.
    Have you ever stopped to think, and forget to start again?

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Finally some common sense. Will these people be deported now?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Are we supposed to believe that over 80% of very poor people from a very poor country are willingly taking on another mouth to feed or just grabbing strange children they don't know and taking them into their family, then forgetting that they didn't give birth to or help create this child, and fail to mention when they apply for the child's citizenship that this is a child they are not related to? If they can't afford to feed their own children, do they really take someone else's and care for them like their own, or as mentioned, do they use them as workers? I think they are well aware they are committing fraud, and don't believe for a second they are just raising other people's kids like their own. If my DNA was compared to my niece or nephew's DNA, there would be some similarities, because they are my brother's children, and my brother and I have the same parents, so can't they tell if someone is bringing over a nephew vs a totally unrelated person? I've seen documentaries made in Africa, and I've seen children abandoned and ignored when their parents are killed. I've never seen a documentary that shows the entire village, or even one member of that village, gathering together to care for the poor, orphaned child. They simply are not picked up and raised by others, they are left to fend for themselves, no matter how young they are.