http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns ... 94767.html

Random thoughts on immigration
By Armstrong Williams

Apr 24, 2006

You know why immigration brings people to a boiling point, separates races, and creates classes in our society? It’s simple, really: OWNERSHIP. Hard line Mexican and Latin Americans coming across the border to Texas and California believe the states belong to them. Because of the United States’ contentious history with its southern neighbors, these extremist Mexican immigrant groups coming across the border couldn’t care less about assimilating with American society, and in fact prefer not to. For they believe that it’s their land and that Americans better leave or get used to their presence.

The great irony that is overlooked in the immigration debate is that the typical political players in this fight are absent. Where are the unions and their leaders who pounce at every opportunity to protect wages and worker rights? Why aren’t they railing against the notion of unskilled, cheap labor flooding into this country? Where are the liberals who cry against "big business" at any chance they get? How come they aren’t deriding corporations for supporting amnesty to continue the cheap labor pool? Why do liberals support the immigrants and their “we just want a job to provide for our families” story, yet rally against tax relief and the minimum wage? The simple fact is that in this case business is seen as an ally, so unions, leftists, and an entire political party are hopping on board because its suits their agenda. This is another example of the Democratic Party moving forward with no clear agenda, no real leadership, and no real stance.

Why do the ends justify the means when it comes to immigration? "Sure, I jumped a fence and came to this country illegally. Yes, I've spent the past ten years dodging and ducking law enforcement. But because of it, my wife has a better job and my kids a better life. So please just let me be.” How is “letting them be” fair to the millions on the other side of the Mexican-United States border that played by the rules and waited their turn? How is that fair to the millions of Americans who are paying taxes so an illegal’s child can go to school for free and wife can go to hospitals without charge? Moreover, why is it that the longer one breaks the law (i.e. remained in this country illegally) the more they are entitled to be supported by it (i.e. get amnesty)?

I’ve heard the argument that we must choose between giving illegals a free ticket or risk shutting down the economy. This is just not true. It’s a false choice to argue that we either give illegals a free ticket here in the US, or force the economy to shut down. First of all, an argument can be made that illegals drain the economy as much as they stimulate it. Secondly, claiming that Americans will not perform certain cheap labor is both erroneous and insulting. Americans have a vast history of performing hard work for low pay and there’s no proof that they wouldn’t continue that tendency today. Furthermore, this claim insults both the American (you’re a fat cat) and the undocumented worker (you’re not worthy of a real job). Merely talking about this aspect of the immigration debate encourages racism, bigotry, and a return to a class society.

No one with half a heart wants to separate families, but this is a nation of laws, not of feel-good policies. Without a solid system in place, nobody will respect the law. And the problems stemming from illegal immigration today are a perfect example of why we create and enforce tough laws. The reality is that under proposed legislation put forth by republicans, illegals will eventually be able to reunite with their family in the US. After an illegal comes forth, documents their work, pays a fine, and returns to their country, they will be able to legally come back to America to work and join their family. This legislation will improve national security, give relief to tax payers, and ensure that immigrants truly become part of American society.

Once new immigration laws take effect and undocumented workers are accounted for or return to their home country we can get down to the root of the problem: keeping track of who enters this country. If we are going to get serious about immigration in this country and truly address the problems surrounding it, we must monitor who enters this country legally and illegally. We should all be able to agree on that! Border security does not mean that Americans are anti-immigration – any educated American knows that immigrants founded this country – it simply means that for security, economic, and health reasons, we must know who lives within our borders.

Armstrong Williams is a widely-syndicated columnist, CEO of the Graham Williams Group, and hosts the Armstrong Williams Show