Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Recall of notorious migrant sweep lingers

Published: 10.16.2006

Recall of notorious migrant sweep lingers
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    "I don't think we've learned anything. It's repeating itself, but in a much broader sense … it's all coming back."
    Alfredo Gutierrez
    Former state senator
    MESA — Arizona's debate over illegal immigration and a state lawmaker's recent comments about a 1950s mass deportation program have caused some memories of a 1997 immigration roundup in Chandler to resurface.
    The Chandler roundup, conducted by local authorities in conjunction with the U.S. Border Patrol, led to the apprehensions of about 430 immigrants. Among the biggest complaints against law enforcement during the roundup was that some Hispanic Americans and legal residents were stopped by police.
    Arizona's border woes have taken center stage in state politics as some state and local officials have rejected the long-held notion that cracking down on illegal immigration is the sole province of the federal government.
    Republican state Rep. Russell Pearce of Mesa drew criticism last month by saying in a a radio interview that he supports reinstating a 1950s federal deportation program known as "Operation Wetback." He has refused to apologize for using the pejorative term "wetback."
    Pearce has since backed away from his statements on the radio and claims he was never calling for the deportation program to be reinstated, the East Valley Tribune reported Sunday.
    While some Hispanic residents don't know about Pearce and haven't heard his comments, the political atmosphere has aroused fears of another roundup.
    "I don't think we've learned anything," said Alfredo Gutierrez, a former Democratic state senator and an organizer of a 100,000-person immigration march in Phoenix during the spring. "It's repeating itself, but in a much broader sense … it's all coming back."
    Although there has been progress in soothing race relations in Chandler after the roundup, the social attitudes toward illegal immigration in 1997 weren't the same attitudes that people hold today.
    "Back in 1997, the question of terrorism was nonexistent in reference to immigration. It was really economics and fundamental fairness and humanitarian concerns," said attorney Stephen Montoya, who filed a lawsuit against Chandler after the roundup and won a settlement of $400,000.
    "The prevailing view back in 1997 was that undocumented workers helped the American economy by providing an available supply of unskilled labor," he said. "What's radically changed is 9/11."
    Some of the people who remember the roundup now say that fear of deportation is still prevalent today.
    "There is no confidence in the police," said Benjamin Flores, a 57-year-old Chandler resident who remembers the roundup. "If someone sees a patrol car, they hide and get intimidated."
    To this day, some claim police barged into homes without cause, although an independent investigation didn't substantiate many of those stories. It did find, however, that Chandler police weren't properly trained for the operation.
    "It had a long-term impact (on Chandler) simply because of the perception issue," said former Lt. Ray Villa, who served on the Chandler Police Department during the roundup and later was named the police liaison to the Hispanic community.
    "It made us look like we were a racist city that does not have a strong bond with the Hispanic community," he said.
    Many people still view the Chandler roundup as a case of racial profiling, although the independent investigation concluded that police didn't set out to violate anyone's civil rights.
    "I don't think we've learned anything. It's repeating itself, but in a much broader sense … it's all coming back."
    Alfredo Gutierrez
    Former state senator
    http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printDS/151290
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

MW
    "I don't think we've learned anything," said Alfredo Gutierrez, a former Democratic state senator and an organizer of a 100,000-person immigration march in Phoenix during the spring.
    Oh boy, another Gutierrez. Personally, I think one Gutierrez is all this country can handle (referring to Rep. Gutierrez). I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm starting to cringe whenever I hear the names Gutierrez and Gonzales - it doesn't seem to matter who specifically the name belongs to - just hearing the name sends me into fits of anger!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    "I don't think we've learned anything," said Alfredo Gutierrez, a former Democratic state senator and an organizer of a 100,000-person immigration march in Phoenix during the spring.
    Oh boy, another Gutierrez. Personally, I think one Gutierrez is all this country can handle (referring to Rep. Gutierrez). I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm starting to cringe whenever I hear the names Gutierrez and Gonzales - it doesn't seem to matter who specifically the name belongs to - just hearing the name sends me into fits of anger!
    I know what you mean. The name Gutierrez came up today on my local news station. Who ever he is, he's the head of some election board for registrators to register to vote.

This Chandler raid set the president of what essentially stopped or slowed down all illegal alien worksite inspections around the Country from that point on. There was a constant fear of lawsuits from 1997 on. This was a pivotal turning point that set the pattern we've now become accustomed to for the last 10 years. Yes, I was vocal about illegal immigration all along and watched what happened in Chandler AZ with great interest.

The threat of law suites shouldn't paralyze progress.
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...