Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar

Recommendation for rental ID check off council's table

Recommendation for rental ID check off council's table
    BY CLARE MARIE CELANO
    Staff Writer

FREEHOLD - A recommendation to investigate the possibility of enacting a law that would require landlords to ask prospective tenants to provide valid proof of citizenship or permanent residency is "off the table," according to Mayor Michael Wilson.

The idea was one of 15 recommendations made by the town's Rental Prop-erty Advisory Committee in a recent report to the Bor-ough Council. The council never proposed such an ordinance.

Wilson said the next step in the program to tighten the reins on landlords who do not keep up their property will be for municipal officials to discuss measures that can be adopted.

Advocates for the borough's Latino community had characterized that particular recommendation (the proof of citizenship) as one that would target their constituency. They were planning to hold a demonstration against such a law prior to the council's March 5 meeting.

Among the issues addressed in the Rental Property Advisory Committee's recommendations to the council were the exploitation of tenants, overcrowding, landlords who neglect to maintain the interior and exterior of rental properties, and otherwise compromise the health, safety and welfare of the community.

Representatives from three organizations, Casa Freehold, the United Day Laborers of Freehold and the Latino Leadership Alliance of New Jersey, were planning to demonstration in front of Borough Hall on Mon-day evening.

They were expected to urge municipal officials to reject some of the advisory committee's recommendations.

In a letter to the editor of the News Transcript discus-sing issues relating to illegal immigration, Councilman Marc Le Vine this week said "there are no plans to adopt" an ordinance that would require landlords to ask prospective tenants to provide valid proof of citizenship or permanent residency.

http://newstranscript.gmnews.com/news/2 ... e/094.html
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

I love and loath how the Pro Illegal side call us hypocrites. They are the real hypocrites. If we do anything to enforce laws they cry racism even though we've said nothing about race. If we happen to mention the fact that the majority of illegals are Mexican, they cry racism.

I for one am extremely insulted when that term is thrown around. I am anything but racist. I have a number of second and third generation hispanic friends whose parents immigrated here legally. I also have travelled throughout Mexico and speak Spanish.

I would be fighting to save my country if it were Ukranians, Greeks, Canadians or any other group of criminals invading. It proves that the have no facts to back their argument when they automatically lower their agument to the gutter.

When the "honorable" Senator Kennedy calls us racists, we need to call him on that. Talk about a hypocrite, he lives in Mansions and inside the beltway and talks like he has a clue how we live.
    Check your credit report regularly, an illegal may be using your Social Security number.