Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Reconquistas planning boycott for weekend

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/200699

PHOENIX - A group of immigrant-rights activists is asking Hispanics to boycott certain events this weekend in protest of the state's new employer-sanctions law and stepped-up immigration enforcement by the federal government.

The boycott is aimed only at commercial events commemorating Fiestas Patrias, which celebrate Mexico's independence from Spain.

The groups organizing the boycott say it's wrong to make money off immigrants when there is so much hostility toward them.

"We are against the commercial events created by businessmen to use the independence day just to make a profit," said organizer Aldo Castaeda, director of the Phoenix Immigration Center, a document-preparation business. "The immigrant community is suffering."

Castaeda pointed to Arizona's employer-sanctions law, which prohibits employers from knowingly hiring illegal immigrants and takes effect in January. The law could cost many illegal immigrants their jobs.

And the federal government has stepped up enforcement of immigration laws, resulting in more arrests and deportation of thousands.

Some immigrant advocates disagree with the boycott and fear it could be counterproductive.
    Hector Yturralde, president of immigrant-rights group We Are America, said he agrees with the organizers' goal, but not with the boycott.

"It works against the immigration movement, and it doesn't accomplish a darn thing," he said. "All it does is make the leaders feel good about themselves and puts them in the spotlight for another week."

Besides the Phoenix Immigration Center, this weekend's boycott is also supported by Immigrants Without Borders, Committee 15th of September, Hispanics for America and Unidos por Arizona

The boycott is the second organized protest this month. A weeklong work stoppage and economic boycott last week had limited success.

"It works against the immigration movement, and it doesn't accomplish a darn thing," he said. "All it does is make the leaders feel good about themselves and puts them in the spotlight for another week."
    At least there's one pro-illegal sympathizer who's thinking.
    Actually, though, the real effects are even more destructive: they just piss off even more Americans than before... Boycott and protest all you want!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Gee, I knew I was putting off all my shopping for some reason.....Time to shp till I drop
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Re: Reconquistas planning boycott for weekend

The groups organizing the boycott say it's wrong to make money off immigrants when there is so much hostility toward them.

It is just wrong. Completely wrong, and we are horrible, horrible people. That being said, the illegals should just go home where none of the big meanies here will ever be able to make money off of them again.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

My wife told me she will hold off on buying the new vacum cleaner until the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath

It is just wrong. Completely wrong, and we are horrible, horrible people. That being said, the illegals should just go home where none of the big meanies here will ever be able to make money off of them again.
    Americans should not be making any of the money back that the illegals robbed and pillaged from us. Let them keep it all and go in peace (get the hell out) NOW!!!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJones
    Quote Originally Posted by azwreath

Americans should not be making any of the money back that the illegals robbed and pillaged from us. Let them keep it all and go in peace (get the hell out) NOW!!!

LOL.....you did get that I was being sarcastic, didn't you? I was speaking to the fact that this is just another example of whining and complaining about how mistreated they are....apparently up to and including forcing them to spend their hard earned money in a country that is so hostile toward them.

If that's how they feel then they can just go home and spend their money where they feel welcome.

Yes I did get the sarcasm and you are soooooooo right!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJones
    Yes I did get the sarcasm and you are soooooooo right!

Good....I thought . for a second there, that I had upset you