By Jonathan Mizrahi | July 26, 2018 | 7:47 AM EDT

(CNSNews.com) – Rep. Luis Gutiérrez (D-Ill.) on Wednesday accused U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) of “kidnapping” children who illegally crossed into the United States with their parents.

“Now having kidnapped the children from the parents, the government and their for-profit contractors are demanding every penny and every nickel they can out of these parents while they’re in custody,” Gutiérrez told a news conference.

Gutiérrez and other members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus met with Homeland Security Secretary Nielsen on Wednesday.

Before that meeting, Gutierrez said he would hold Nielsen’s “feet to the fire.”

“And we are going… she thought she was uncomfortable, trying to eat in a restaurant Washington, D.C., I’ll tell you that will be nothing compared to the heat that will be placed at the meeting at 11 o’clock. Because we are going to speak clearly, and unequivocally about the needs of these children, about the terror that they are confronting, because that’s our responsibility; if we do not speak for them clearly and without reservation, then who will?”

A reporter asked the congressman if he was saying it’s okay to harass cabinet members in public.

Gutiérrez replied, “Look I’m going to tell you what I’m going to do. I’m going to fulfill my constitutional responsibility, and my moral responsibility, to the people of the United States and to protect this nation, so that’s what I’m going to do today at 11 o’clock.”

Gutiérrez referred to the harassment of cabinet members as “other politics,” and said it should be left “for another day.”

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...alien-children