http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 256727.htm

Posted on Sat, Dec. 16, 2006

Rep. Hunter of Calif. hunts, talks border security in Iowa

Associated Press

BAXTER, Iowa - California Rep. Duncan Hunter, among the least-known Republican presidential candidates, touted border security and national defense during a visit Saturday to Iowa.

Hunter, outgoing chairman of the powerful House Armed Services Committee, spent the morning pheasant hunting with some veterans and active military members after mixing in some politics at a pancake breakfast.

"I believe in a strong national defense, a strong and enforceable border, a two-way street on trade," said Hunter, who was making his first visit to Iowa since announcing his presidential bid in October.

Iowa, which leads off the presidential nominating season with its precinct caucuses, has already attracted several high-profile politicians expected to run for the White House in 2008.

Hunter will likely compete against better-known Republicans with more money in the bank, including Arizona Sen. John McCain, who has been a frequent visitor to Iowa.

Still, Hunter said he hopes his message resonates among Iowans and looks forward to winning their support.

"This is a state that lends itself to what I would call custom-made campaigns because you can't simply come in and do a lot of media," he said. "It's a person-to-person state, and that's something that I appreciate."

Hunter said he opposes abortion and supports plans approved by Congress to construct a 700-mile fence like the one he pushed to have built between San Diego and Tijuana, Mexico. He said Tuesday's raid by immigration agents at meatpacking plants in Iowa and five other states shows the need to strengthen border security.

"I think that you have to enforce the law and that includes employer sanctions," he said.

On Iraq, Hunter said he has advised President Bush to try to avoid sending more American troops to quell insurgencies. Hunter proposes moving 27 battalions of the Iraqi army from "quiet areas" of the country to violent areas such as Baghdad.

Hunter said it would be a mistake to enlist the help of Iran in stabilizing Iraq. "They do not want America to succeed," he said.