Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rep. Solis: Republican reps must go back and apologize

By MarketWatch
    Last Update: 2:34 PM ET Apr 15, 2006

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Rep. Hilda Solis, D-Ca., delivered the Democrat response to President Bush's radio address. She said Congress must return to immigration reform when it returns from a two week break on April 24.

Good morning. This is Congresswoman Hilda Solis from California. As hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets of America's cities for comprehensive immigration reform, all of us got to see the real human face of this vital issue.

The peaceful rallies all over the United States showed our country's great diversity, and showed that immigration affects not just Latinos, but also Asians, people from Africa, even the Irish. There was a wonderful coalition of Americans from every background who know that together, America can do better.

Many of those who marched were the children or relatives of immigrants, those who understand that immigration is both about our border security, as well as about family.

As hundreds of thousands waved American flags, recited the pledge of allegiance, and asked for a shot at the American Dream, it made me proud to be an American.
    Like many of them, I am proof of the American dream.

My parents met and married here after moving from Mexico and Nicaragua and still live in the home that I was raised in. They instilled in my six siblings and me a deep sense of pride in our heritage, our country, and our community. We learned early on that with dedication, perseverance, and a good education, the American dream could be ours.
    But we also learned that we have a stake in each other's future, and a responsibility for our neighbors' well being as much as our own.

Those values are not unique to my family, and they are not just Democratic values, they are American values.
    The United States deserves realistic solutions to immigration, consistent with American values. That means reform is tough and smart - comprehensive, but also compassionate.

What America saw during the last few weeks did not happen overnight. The Republican Party set out to scapegoat immigrants in order to divide voters and win elections long ago, just as they did in the past elections on issues such as gay marriage.

Throughout the past year, the Republican Party has steadily built up its assault on immigrants. First, it was the Real ID measure that denied refugees a fair chance to seek asylum despite having been forced to flee their countries of origin.

And, in December, the same Republicans approved the House Republican Bill authored by Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner that would criminalize immigrants, families and even the clergy - making it illegal to offer communion to undocumented immigrants. The Sensenbrenner bill also would force local law enforcement to conduct racial profiling and require a wall be built along America's southern border.

Worst yet, Republicans passed these punitive and anti-immigrant measures after President Bush issued a 'Statement of Administration Policy' declaring his strong support for the bill.

In the last two weeks as the Senate considered immigration legislation, it was the Republican Party who stood in the way of comprehensive immigration reform that protects our borders, cracks down on employers who hire illegally and exploit workers, and brings millions of undocumented immigrants out of the shadows.

President Bush and Senator Frist lack real leadership to stop extremists in their party from trying to kill bi-partisan efforts for real, comprehensive reform.

The American people want change, not more of the same ineffective immigration proposals that scapegoat immigrants.

Democrats will continue to fight for that change, so that Americans get the tough and smart comprehensive immigration reform that they deserve.

I commend Democratic Senator Harry Reid for calling on Bill Frist to bring immigration reform to the floor of the Senate again as soon as Congress returns from recess.

Our hope is that Republicans, including the President, will finally show some leadership and help get the job done.

Republicans are not just alienating Latinos with their surrender to the far right, they're alienating Americans of every background who know that scapegoating any group of people is wrong.

And they're alienating every American who knows that we need real solutions to strengthen our borders, protect U.S. workers and their wages, and make it possible for immigrants who pay taxes and don't have trouble with the law to earn the opportunities and responsibilities of U.S. citizenship.

Together, America can do better.

This is Congresswoman Hilda Solis, thank you for listening.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Oh yea---I'm ready to do the technicolor yawn!

"forced to immigrate", "compassion", ----

"Republicans are not just alienating Latinos with their surrender to the far right, they're alienating Americans of every background who know that scapegoating any group of people is wrong. "

NO SOLIS --YOU ARE WRONG! I was leaning toward liberal/democratic party policies for DECADES! I am not concerned with your blathering any longer, as a matter of fact, this issue has polarized in only one way: LEGAL vs. ILLEGAL! For a crap statement to say that it is a Republican villification is absolute NONSENSE!

There are many , many Democrats who feel the same way as Republicans. You had better wake up and smell the coffee you pandering mouthpiece! Start representing your LEGAL constituents, not your criminal illegal element----pathetic!

And the fact that your website is also in SPANISH makes me sick! Learn English---I DID--and so should EVERY ONE OF YOUR CONSTITUENTS, LEGAL OR NOT! Are we clear? Just wait until the LEGAL Citizens of this country (native born and immigrant!) become organized and respond to the ILLEGAL lawbreaking immigrant crap spewing out into the streets---you will be wishing that you would have never opened you pandering political vote-seeking reelection posturing trap!
    Title 8,U.S.C.§1324 prohibits alien smuggling,conspiracy,aiding and
    abetting!

Thomas

Well said! These politicians need to take the cotton out of their ears and put it in their mouths!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God