City Council District 9 Candidate: Linda Devore
By Linda Devore

Linda Devore is a candidate for the Fayetteville City Council District 9 Seat
Repeat offenders . . . and the enablers

I surely do not have a problem with getting the repeaters off the street. Whether the crime is illegal immigration and identity theft, or breaking and entering. Ted Mohn just posted about the "catch and release" method of criminal justice that appears to foster low-level career criminal activity in our community and in our neighborhoods. How often do we have to hear about crimes committed by those who are already awaiting trial on a string of other charges--who are caught again. Minimal bond and out in a few hours. Not enough jail space, they say, so a token bail and back on the street.

I am one taxpayer willing to put up the money for enough tents, trailers, rolls of barbed wire fencing, and pink jumpsuits to house every repeat offender who is hauled in by our hard-working law enforcement officers. I can't imagine a more effective means of cutting the crime rate than keeping repeat offenders off the streets.

Illegal immigration and identity theft do not get a pass, either. They are crimes, and those engaged in them are criminals. Our society cannot afford--either financially or morally--to wink at those who break the law to make a buck. That goes for the gate-jumpers, as well as those who knowingly employ them--or choose not to notice.

This morning's FO editorial has it right. "Rampant lawbreaking . . . is a defilement of fundamental American values." I would add that those who chose to become accomplices to immigration crimes also defile our country. Lawlessness tears at the fiber of our society at every level.

Not everyone sees it that way. Some businessmen are willing to use illegal immigrants to gain a competitive advantage--to feather their nest and fatten their bank account. After all, it's not like anyone is using a gun or breaking into your home--just a businessman trying to make a living. A really nice living.

A few months back some of my opponent's illegal workers were caught in a sweep at Ft. Bragg. Two years ago his workers were out putting up campaign signs for him. And four years ago the SBOE investigated his campaign for illegals registering and voting in his city council race--some coming across state lines. According to media accounts, the case was referred to the DA but charges were not brought. He lost his race that year so maybe it was considered a moot point.

I don't see it that way, frankly. I see someone who is part of the problem--and part of the reason we have a problem tearing at the moral fiber of our country.

http://www.fayobserver.com/blog/comment ... 0&eid=4841