Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Reply to my Email by Senator Mel Martinez

Thank you for taking the time to contact me. I appreciate hearing from you regarding comprehensive immigration reform and would like to respond to your concerns.

Delaying comprehensive reform does a disservice to America. It is my hope that my colleagues and I in Congress can come together and produce a tough but fair and workable piece of comprehensive immigration legislation that President Bush can sign into law during the 110th Congress.

To do this, we must secure the border, provide for the economic labor needs of our nation, and contend with the 12 million immigrants already living here illegally. It is my firm belief that addressing border security while doing nothing to address those already living here illegally would amount to de facto amnesty for those 12 million.

Fortunately, the border is getting more secure by the day. Last year, the Congress passed several laws that will authorize and fund the construction of 700 miles of double layered fencing and security barriers, 9,150 new detention beds, 3,736 more Border Patrol Agents--up to15, 000 over the next six years-- and $682 million for border tactical infrastructure and facilities construction. This constitutes a tremendous investment and commitment to securing our borders, and I am pleased with the progress we are making in this area. However, I know more remains to be done.

This year, it is my hope that Congress will begin to address other important aspects of immigration policy where similar reforms and improvements are needed. For instance, we need strict interior and employer enforcement along with a workable employer verification system that the Department of Homeland Security can use to ensure that unscrupulous employers are kept in check while providing legal certainty for businesses. In addition, I fully support the creation of a viable temporary worker program that allows individuals who wish to fill labor shortages in the United States to come here and work for a short period of time before returning home.

Finally, we need a fair way to deal with the 12 million aliens who have entered our country illegally or overstayed their visas. It is in the United States’ national security interest to learn the identity of these individuals. While the best way to do this is still being debated, continuing to simply look the other way is not a viable or responsible option. America’s history of welcoming immigrants to our shores must never be forgotten; and it remains imperative that we continue to attract and include not only the best and brightest who want to work and live in the United States to make our country greater, but also those who are willing to work hard at the jobs that many Americans are unwilling to do. Finally, there must be charitable, humanitarian exceptions, so that we are not tearing apart families or using the law to treat people unjustly.

As we continue our work this Congress, please know that I will work diligently with both Republicans and Democrats to enact legislation that will produce the needed immigration reforms our country demands. This is an important national security, economic and humanitarian challenge, and I know the American people are looking to Congress for action.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. If you have any additional comments, please contact me. For more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at http://martinez.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
    United States Senator
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

our country demands
    Does he mean mexico
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

It's always the same crud from him.

It is my firm belief that addressing border security while doing nothing to address those already living here illegally would amount to de facto amnesty for those 12 million.
    Notice how he and other pro-amnesty people always try to frame the arguement in a way that no one is really advocating?

We who want border security, are not saying, "do nothing about the illegals already here", and he knows it. We want border security, we want the illegals deported and we want the employers of illegals prosecuted. That's my idea of "comprehensive" immigration enforcement.

I would write Mr. Martinez back and tell him that you don't appreciate his disengenuous response.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Talk about Anti-American, this guy pushes everyone’s interests except "We the American People"
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Don't you just love those form letters they sent out

America’s history of welcoming immigrants to our shores must never be forgotten; and it remains imperative that we continue to attract and include not only the best and brightest who want to work and live in the United States to make our country greater, but also those who are willing to work hard at the jobs that many Americans are unwilling to do. Finally, there must be charitable, humanitarian exceptions, so that we are not tearing apart families or using the law to treat people unjustly.
    Read between the lines of the highlighted areas to see how he really feels.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

I think he really wants to eat illegals...he is very fat...like Fat B in Austin Powers
    Sorry digressing... again!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Quote Originally Posted by pjr40
    America’s history of welcoming immigrants to our shores must never be forgotten; and it remains imperative that we continue to attract and include not only the best and brightest who want to work and live in the United States to make our country greater, but also those who are willing to work hard at the jobs that many Americans are unwilling to do. Finally, there must be charitable, humanitarian exceptions, so that we are not tearing apart families or using the law to treat people unjustly.
    Read between the lines of the highlighted areas to see how he really feels.
    I love how they all believe the "unwilling to do" crap. I might agree if they will say what they actually mean.. unwilling to do for $3/hr.

Reform Welfare to more of a Workfare for the able bodies and this arguement would have no legs.. (not that is really has any now!)
    "Democrats Fall in Love, Republicans Fall in Line!"

Ex-El Presidente' www.jorgeboosh.com