Quote Originally Posted by Brian503a
http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Headlines/frtHEAD03090806.htm

September 08, 2006

Report: American diet making immigrants fat

By BRITTNEY BOOTH
Staff Writer

Obesity isn't experts' only concern. The National Diabetes Education Program predicts that nearly half of Hispanic children born in 2000 will develop diabetes during their lifetime.

At the Pierson Medical Center, a federally funded clinic, Dr. April Ferguson sees obese children who are at risk for developing Type 2 Diabetes and high blood pressure. Ferguson tells her patients to increase their exercise, cut back on sugar and soda, and eat more fruits and vegetables.

"I'm seeing (diabetes and high blood pressure) younger," she said. "They tend to get these diseases earlier for being heavier."

Mercado, the Hispanic Health Initiatives director, said she has seen Latino children as young as 9 years old with Type 2 Diabetes. Mexicans and Puerto Ricans have the highest rates of diabetes among Hispanics, she said.

Type 1 diabetes develops most often in young people but can appear in adults. Type 2 diabetes develops most often in middle-aged and older adults but can appear in young people, according to the American Diabetes Association.

She blames low exercise rates and diets high in carbohydrates. For example, Puerto Ricans tend to incorporate lots of root vegetables such as yuccas, yams and malangas in their diets. Mexican meals often include rice, beans and tortillas. Without exercise, eating too many carbohydrates can lead to weight gain.

As she worked out at the Deltona YMCA recently, Amanda Olmeda, 14, of Deltona, already has Type 1 or juvenile diabetes. Her Puerto Rican family eats rice and beans every night, and Olmeda knows she needs to watch her diet so she doesn't gain weight.

"All my grandparents have Type 2 diabetes," she said.
From reading this article, my take too is that Hispanics are blaming Americans and American food on their obesity and health problems. Personal responsibility does matter and I don't believe the Hispanic diet is any better.

The portions of the article I quoted mention diabetes and I want to bring this up because I have a child with Type I. She was diagnosed at age three and Type I is genetic and has nothing to do with diet or exercise such as Type II does. My daughter has never been overweight in her life. Throughout the years of dealing with her diabetes, I've heard from educators, doctors as well as school personnel that diabetes is on the rise among children and adults, both types I and II. The Type II because of poor eating habits, lack of exercise and obesity both among children and adults. Type II used to be rare amongst youths.

Six years ago when my daughter was diagnosed with the juvenile type, I was told that it usually develops by the age of 30. But, recently at a diabetic education fair, a government health dept. was offering free blood screenings for all adults under the age of 45 (who are related to those with Type I) to see if they had the genetics to develop type I diabetes. Apparently, there are occasional adults over 30 now who still develop Type I that requires insulin to live.

Regardless, this is a life-threatening incurable disease - especially Type I -that is costly to maintain with insulin pumps and/or syringes, insulin and numerous other supplies. My daughter has private health insurance but the co-pays add up for supplies as well as doctor visits. I never did an estimate but my guess is the monthly amount for her diabetes in prescriptions, over-the-counter, etc. exceeds $500 monthly including what the insurance company pays. This doesn't include extras such as a rare emergency room visit. Insulin pumps themselves cost several thousand dollars, at least the one my daughter was put on a few years ago was $6,000 not including all the supplies.

Now according to this article, add up all the immigrants (many illegals here sponging off Medicaid and ERs) who are receiving reduced or free health care at taxpaper expense. Dang right, they need to exercise and go on diets and take care of their health and their childrens so they don't burden US citizens with their poor health habits. And, if they are illegal, US taxpayers shouldn't be paying even one penny for either Type I or II diabetes. Let the leaders of their home countries pay their health care costs.