Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Report: Coming influx of Mexican trucks 'serious'

http://www.signonsandiego.com

A surge in smog over the long haul

Report: Coming influx of Mexican trucks 'serious'

By Michael Gardner
    COPLEY NEWS SERVICE
    March 15, 2006

SACRAMENTO – An anticipated surge in long-haul truck traffic from Mexico will deliver more than loads of produce, electronics and clothing to California.

It will also bring a lot of smog.

California's air-quality regulators say the imminent opening of the state's freeways and ports of entry to older, diesel-fueled Mexican trucks could dramatically increase toxic pollutants, a new source of smog equal to 2.2 million additional cars on the road.

“This would have a serious impact on the region's health and particularly on the health of those community members living adjacent to any heavily-traveled routes,” warns a state Air Resources Board report released late Monday.

“Additionally, the supplemental emissions generated by the increased truck traffic could impede California's progress toward attaining the federal air quality standards, which could potentially jeopardize billions of dollars in federal transportation funding,” the report says.

As a result, state and San Diego officials say they may have to impose more stringent local standards to offset the added pollution from Mexican trucks.

Opening California's borders to more trucks from Mexico is part of the North American Free Trade Agreement, signed by former President Clinton a dozen years ago.

A series of legal challenges stalled the opening of California's border to long-distance foreign trucks after NAFTA became law. But in 2004, the U.S. Supreme Court cleared the last legal roadblock when it ruled that the federal government was not required to prepare complete environmental studies on impacts associated with foreign traffic.

The Bush administration is expected to erase the existing border-truck policy, which had limited most Mexican truckers to a 20-mile zone within California. The air board's report said an announcement repealing the limit is “imminent.”

Regulators estimate that daily truck crossings from Mexico will increase from 3,500 to 17,500, spewing another 50 tons of smog. A quarter of those trucks were on the road before 1980, and as many as nine of every 10 were built before 1993, according to the air board report.

California's major truck entry points are at Otay Mesa in San Diego and Calexico in Imperial County. About 3,000 trucks now cross at Otay Mesa, said Robert Reider, who monitors the issue for the San Diego County Pollution Control District.

One out of every 10 trucks rolling through San Diego County at any given time is registered in Mexico, he said.

The San Ysidro port of entry serves mostly passenger vehicles.

San Diego officials have long struggled to comply with federal standards for cleaner air. The region risks losing federal dollars as punishment for not improving air quality.

“If we want overall reductions, we have to get them from somewhere,” Reider said. “It would have to come from some other source. We need reductions, period.”

Kenn Morris, director of Crossborder Business Associates in San Diego, said the potential impact may be overstated because many trucks are now crossing and staying within the 20-mile limit.

“The fact that they go a few extra miles to Los Angeles shouldn't scare anyone,” Morris said, noting the positive economic effects on both sides of the border.

“While it may sound like a lot, there are a lot of emission sources around us that, on a daily basis or in a few days, create 50 tons of emissions,” he said.

The threat of more polluters on California roads comes at a time when Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and state lawmakers are scrambling to place a massive bond package on the ballot that would set aside about $1 billion to help reduce pollution. Diesel truck emissions are a primary target.

The Mexican government is taking steps to encourage cleaner trucks, according to California officials.

Mexico has promised to require the use of cleaner-burning, low-sulfur diesel fuel starting in 2007 in the border regions and to extend the standard countrywide by 2009. The United States will implement a similar fuel standard this year.

In addition, Mexico's state-run oil monopoly Pemex will commit $2.5 billion over the next five years to upgrade its refineries to produce cleaner fuels, according to the air board report.

“They're sensitive to the environment, too,” Reider said of Mexican officials. “They're collaborating with us.”

California smog-fighters have taken some steps to combat truck emissions. Armed with legislation carried by then-state Sen. Steve Peace, D-Chula Vista, the air board in 1998 launched inspection stations near Otay Mesa and Calexico.

According to the air board report, “the test failure rate in the border region has consistently been higher than throughout the rest of the state, which lends credence to the generally held assumption that Mexican commercial vehicles are older and dirtier than those registered in California.”

Two years ago, Schwarzenegger signed legislation requiring Mexican trucks to meet federal clean-air standards before entering California. Trucks in the future also must use the cleaner diesel formulated to meet U.S. standards.

Other efforts are under way to reduce truck emissions.

In San Diego County, a $150,000 federal grant is helping finance advanced pollution control devices for Mexican trucks. The technology costs about $4,000 per truck.

Long-haul trucks also are more than likely to be newer and cleaner, minimizing impacts around the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, some officials said.

The California Trucking Association was sharply critical of the state's efforts to curb pollution by Mexican trucks. Stephanie Williams, of the association, predicted the state will go after California trucks to make up for the elevated smog levels from Mexican trucks.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

California's air-quality regulators say the imminent opening of the state's freeways and ports of entry to older, diesel-fueled Mexican trucks could dramatically increase toxic pollutants, a new source of smog equal to 2.2 million additional cars on the road.
    Excuse me, but why aren't they following OUR rules in OUR country??????????
    Why do we have two sets of rules????????????????????

The Bush administration is expected to erase the existing border-truck policy, which had limited most Mexican truckers to a 20-mile zone within California. The air board's report said an announcement repealing the limit is “imminent.”
    We can always hope that the President will finally wake up.

The Mexican government is taking steps to encourage cleaner trucks, according to California officials.
    I guess they are going to run them through the local car wash. I hear they do a nice job of drying.

Mexico has promised to require the use of cleaner-burning, low-sulfur diesel fuel starting in 2007 in the border regions and to extend the standard countrywide by 2009. The United States will implement a similar fuel standard this year.
    A Mexican promise………we all know what THAT is worth.

The California Trucking Association was sharply critical of the state's efforts to curb pollution by Mexican trucks. Stephanie Williams, of the association, predicted the state will go after California trucks to make up for the elevated smog levels from Mexican trucks.
    Yes, we will penalize Americans and let the Mexicans slide.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

The Teamsters were instrumental in delaying this provision of NAFTA for a few years. Not only are these trucks not cleaner they are unsafe. The Mexican drivers also are not held to the same safety requirements as US trucks. They were allowed to drive longer hours than our truck drivers, so unless this was changed somehow expect to see more fatal accidents on the highways involving these trucks.

You only get what you pay for. In this case, they have traded saftey for bigger profits.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They were allowed to drive longer hours than our truck drivers, so unless this was changed somehow expect to see more fatal accidents on the highways involving these trucks
    This is not a new issue on the border. The second NAFTA passed they started. And there already are more fatal accidents involving truckers. If you drive back and forth for long distances on the interstate much, and if you have a CB, you probably know that there is a little "truckers war" that seems to be ongoing as well between Spanish speakers and English speakers. It ain't pretty.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

jj, How long have they been driving beyond the 20 mile limit they were allowed in the beginning. I know that going cross country has been delayed for a few years because of the teamsters fighting it. The fact that there is a "trucker war" going on is very interesting.

They are beyond the 20 mile limit just to go across town here. But the big trucks have been going across for some time now. The newer ones at least.

Although they don't come right out and say it, many of the accidents on I-10 in this area are due to unsafe trucks. They run bald tires, spewing pollution, squealing brakes, you name it.

As for the trucker war, it has escalated each year since 2000 that I'm aware of. We have trucker friends, some of whom can speak fluent Spanish. They tell us way more than I want to know. Plus we hear this ourselves when we travel. Some states wound up having to shut down rest areas on the interstate for periods of time because of the trouble with truckers. Sometimes the truck stops are a little frightening when you discover you are in the middle of a potential fight. It's like modern day cowboys and indians.

I hate to see it because my father was a trucker all his life and I know how it used to be. Now, I would no more expect a trucker to help me than I'd expect to see the Easter Bunny. In fact, I'd be afraid if they did, judging by what I hear on the CB.

There are also trucking outfits on the border begging for drivers. I have a feeling that quite a few of those new drivers are illegals. I have an even worse feeling that at least one of those outfits runs illegals by the dozens.

We had another 53 illegals found in a local hotel tonight and 6 in another hotel, by the way.

How pitiful, This has never been mentioned in any of our news reports or in our newspapers. If you don't have relatives that live in your part of the country or forums like this, we would never know this was going on.

They really know how to isolate the news. Thanks for letting me know, I will have to keep my head up and check around me at truck stops and rest areas from now on.
    But then again I have never been anywhere near Texas.