Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Republican delegate apologizes for calling lawmakers 'traito

Republican delegate apologizes for calling lawmakers 'traitors' on illegal immigration issue
    By Dennis Romboy and Lisa Riley Roche, Deseret News
    Published: Friday, July 22, 2011 12:41 p.m. MDT

SALT LAKE CITY — A Republican delegate who introduced Benedict Arnold into the contentious debate over Utah's guest worker program bill apologized Friday.

Brandon Beckham called his use of "traitors" to describe those who drafted HB116 a poor choice of words. Beckham made the comment, which drew cheers and applause, at a news conference Wednesday where he and others reiterated their effort to repeal the law.

Brandon Beckham, organizer of an effort to repeal HB116, speaks with a supporter at a press conference urging the repeal of the bill at the Utah State Capitol on Wednesday, July 20, 2011.

“I am very passionate about the principles behind the immigration issue as it affects every aspect of our community. However, I certainly erred in my wording. While I disagree with HB116 supporters on the premise of the law, I never meant to attack anyone’s character, and I’m not above an apology," he said.

Beckham, of Orem, said he didn't mean the remark as a slight to legislators who voted for or sponsored the legislation. He said he called key sponsors of the bill to apologize.

"I do hope those offended will forgive me for my ill choice of words as we move forward on this complex issue,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Fascinating.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)