Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Republican Hispanics blast Democrats' ad

Posted on Tue, Aug. 15, 2006

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanlui ... 281078.htm

Republican Hispanics blast Democrats' ad

SUZANNE GAMBOA
    Associated Press

WASHINGTON - A Democratic political ad is under fire from Hispanics who say it unfairly compares Latino immigrants to terrorists.

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee sponsored a 35-second ad on its Web site that shows footage of two people scaling a border fence mixed with images of Osama Bin Laden and North Korea President Kim Jong Il.

Pedro Celis, chairman of the Republican National Hispanic Assembly, said in a statement Tuesday that the DSCC should remove the ad because it vilifies illegal Hispanic immigrants and is "appalling."

Houston City Councilwoman Carol Alvarado, a Democrat, sent a letter to DSCC Chairman Sen. Charles Schumer of New York asking that the ad be pulled. She said it could alienate Latino voters.

"To liken Latino immigrants to bazooka-toting terrorists not only undermines the positive relationship our party has with this community, but also lowers us to a despicable level as breeders of unfounded fear and hatred," Alvarado wrote.

The ad opens with the words "Security Under Bush and GOP?" It features scenes of a masked man with a bazooka, scenes from terrorist attacks and police inspecting a subway train. It also shows Osama bin Laden, Iran President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and a docked ship as it claims "4 times as many terrorist attacks in 2005."

Then comes footage of a person climbing over a corrugated metal border fence and another preparing to climb it as the words "millions more illegal immigrants" form on-screen. In the following scene, viewers see the words "North Korea has quadrupled its nuclear arsenal" with footage of a tank and North Korea President Kim Jong Il.

The ad ends with the words, "Feel safer? Vote for change."

"Equating these undocumented migrants to the very real threats of terrorism is inexcusable and only serves to fan the flames of anti-immigrant sentiment in our country," Celis said in the statement.

The faces of the people climbing over the fence are not clearly visible and there is nothing in the ad confirming the people in the ad are Hispanic. Such scenes are often captured in footage of the U.S.-Mexican border.

Bettina Inclan, the assembly's executive director, said the people in the ad appeared Hispanic, "not just to us, but to other people who saw the video."

DSCC spokesman Phil Singer dismissed the group's criticism as a Republican group "trying to gloss over the White House's abysmal record on security."

"This group's time would be better spent pressuring reluctant Republicans to support comprehensive immigration reform," Singer said in an emailed statement.

Inclan said the group was among supporters of the bipartisan Senate immigration bill, which passed the Senate but has been criticized in the House.

The ad drew rebuke from other Hispanics.

"This is the same kind of fear mongering we condemn in the extreme media and now we are seeing it at the DSCC," said Lisa Navarrete, spokeswoman for the National Council of La Raza. "It's appalling."

To liken Latino immigrants to bazooka-toting terrorists
    No....machete toting gangs doing just about the same thing.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

She said it could alienate Latino voters
    Oh my! On the one hand Republicans are alienating Latino voters and now Democrats are alienating Latino voters. What are we to do? Oh dear!
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

I hate to say this..........but i wouldn't trust any Latino Politians right now on the Illegal Immigration issue
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson

MW
    Pedro Celis, chairman of the Republican National Hispanic Assembly, said in a statement Tuesday that the DSCC should remove the ad because it vilifies illegal Hispanic immigrants and is "appalling."
    The truth hurts, doesn't it!

I hate to say this..........but i wouldn't trust any Latino Politians right now on the Illegal Immigration issue.
    Can anyone name just one Representative in the House or Senator in the Senate of Hispanic descent that is not for a guest worker program, amnesty, or a path to legalization? How about one Bush appointee in the Bush administration? As for our Hispanic elected Representatives, they all have one agenda in mind and it sure as heck doesn't include sealed borders or illegal immigrant deportation! It's unfortunate, but most (I'll give the benefit of doubt in case there is one I'm not aware of) of them are Latino first and American second!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Don't forget the two border patrol officers on trial for "going against their own."
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Does anyone have a link to this ad for viewing?

[b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

California or ground zero of the invasion
    WASHINGTON - A Democratic political ad is under fire from Hispanics who say it unfairly compares Latino immigrants to terrorists.
    Economic terrorists on the American taxpayer.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I hate to say this..........but i wouldn't trust any Latino Politians right now on the Illegal Immigration issue
    It's unfortunate, but most (I'll give the benefit of doubt in case there is one I'm not aware of) of them are Latino first and American second!
    This is the problem with latino leaders..they are racists. Their willingness to put the latin interests before the good of America proves this. With the Elian Gonzolas case in Miami back in 2001, the mayor told the US officials that they would not aid in the apprehension of Elian, the US had to come in and do it themselves.

Latin leaders are NOT to be trusted with any issue that addresses the overall good of America. I have spent alot of years in Miami after being born there and I can tell you this is the way it is.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast