Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Residents display concern regarding increase in illegals

http://www.insidebayarea.com/argus/localnews/ci_3797428

Article Last Updated: 5/08/2006 02:33 AM

Residents display concern regarding increase in illegals
    Some worried that influx of Mexicans may adversely affect property values

By Jonathan Jones, STAFF WRITER
    Inside Bay Area

NEWARK — In this quiet residential neighborhood along Rochelle Avenue, Mexican flags fly next to American flags.
    It is a street of modest two- and three-bedroom homes with neatly trimmed lawns, a block where many residents still have their newspapers delivered and most people know each other by name.

Until a few years ago, residents say they had few problems with immigration. But in the last couple of years, they say they have seen an increase in the number of Latino families living in single-family homes, which they contend is adversely affecting their neighborhood.

In demonstrations throughout the country, advocates for illegal immigrants contend that the estimated 11 million to 12 million illegal workers provide the backbone for the United States' economy and should be treated with respect. While few in the neighborhood dispute that argument, some say the impact of illegal immigration can be felt in their own backyards — from overcrowded houses next door to increases in noise, traffic and nuisance crime.

Some, 60-year-old John Mikel among them, say the recent protests about immigration are adding fuel to the fire — instead of raising awareness — by bringing out their uneasy feelings about illegal immigrants.

"It's ridiculous," said Mikel. "It's bringing out tensions and starting to build walls among people — and that's ashame."

America is a melting pot, he said. "It's what makes this country tick." Although he does not believe hard-working Latino immigrants — such as the man who pushes an ice cream cart or works as a mason — should be forced to leave the country, Mikel, as a property owner, said he is concerned that some houses on his street are occupied by multiple families, which is creating problems in his neighborhood.

"You can't have three or four families living in one single-family house for health reasons," he said. "At night, you'll see cars lined up and down this street. We have to pull the window shades down at night to stop people from standing out front looking in. ... It makes you feel as if they're casing the house."

Down the road, Jim Mestas also insisted he has never had problems with immigrants. But as he sat at the kitchen table after a long day of work, he suggested that illegal immigrants do not see themselves as Americans.

"There are so many questions, but few answers," Mestas said. "But (the protests) make you think: Are they only supporting illegal immigration or are they also supporting America?"

If government officials turn a blind eye to homes overcrowded with illegal immigrant workers, Mestas, a soft-spoken man who has lived on Rochelle Avenue for 19 years, said it could negatively affect property values and cause him to move.

"It's just getting to be too much," Mestas said. "We need a guest-worker program. We need to know who is here. (The protests) kind of makes you look at people differently. This is not a racial issue; it's about consideration for your neighbors."

But not everyone agrees the influx of immigrants is adversely affecting the neighborhood.

Across the street, inside the garage of a bright pink house, Pedro Parra sits in front of a sewing machine, stitching pants and watching a Spanish television station.

He is a 79-year-old tailor who has lived on this street for more than three decades — longer than most.

A large shiny cross hangs from Parra's neck. He is originally from Queretaro, Mexico, and he said he didn't want to come here in 1957. But his wife was ill, her family already was living in the Bay Area, and he knew they could get better medical care.

For most of his life, he has worked as a custom tailor, but he worries that there are not enough jobs to support all of the immigrants living here.

"I feel sorry for them," said Parra, referring to illegal immigrant workers. "I don't know how they live or how they eat."

But Parra does not support the building of a wall along the border. He also does not believe the influx of illegal immigrants is adversely affecting the neighborhood.

"They don't bother me and I don't bother them," he said. "Sometimes they park their cars and block my driveway so I told them, 'Don't block my driveway,' and now they don't block my driveway. Nobody bothers me."

Susan Schultz, an architectural designer and mother of two who lives around the corner, said she sympathizes with the illegal immigrant workers who line up along Sycamore Street, looking for work.

"I don't really have a problem," Schultz said. "But my main issue is when things get rowdy. This is a good neighborhood with great schools. And it's safe.

"Personally, I don't have problems as long as they're documented, they're paying their fair share of taxes and they have consideration for the neighbors."

Nevertheless, she believes all this talk about illegal immigration is a lot of hot air.

"It's just a smoke screen. It all comes down to money," she said. "I don't trust our government and I don't think they're really interested in addressing this issue."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Nevertheless, she believes all this talk about illegal immigration is a lot of hot air.

"It's just a smoke screen. It all comes down to money," she said. "I don't trust our government and I don't think they're really interested in addressing this issue."
    Don't have to be a rocket scientist to recognize the government's disinterest in the issue.

Everyone that didn't know it knows it now after those blatant tantrums in our streets.

If that doesn't wake up the apathetic, nothing will.