Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Residents Respond To Immigration Proposal

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2006/ ... alslaw.txt

Mayor wants city ordinance involving illegal immigrant fines

ROGERS -- Juan Vallejo believes a city law to target employers and landlords of illegal immigrants would unintentionally hurt many more people.

"It is unfair because it's punishing everyone, not only undocumented immigrants but their children and the businesses that they support," said Vallejo, 53, owner of a music store and an income tax office in Rogers.

"Americans won't buy the music that I'm selling and the law will have a domino effect," he said.

Rogers Mayor Steve Womack proposed last month a city nuisance ordinance based on legislation passed in Hazleton, Pa., that would involve fines for businesses employing illegal immigrants and for landlords renting to them. A court blocked implementation of the ordinance.

Womack said that, although Rogers is now taking a "wait and see" approach to the ordinance because of the court challenge, he is committed to doing something to rid the city of illegal immigrants.

"I'm as committed today to the issues relating to illegal immigration as the day this thing first broke," Womack said Friday. "The city will take a position on this issue."

There are other options the city will consider, chief among them is federal training for city police officers to enable them to enforce immigration law, Womack said.

Vallejo said 99 percent of his customers are Hispanic and not only his business will be affected but also other businesses such as Wal-Mart, where a lot of Hispanics go to buy merchandise.

"I believe that this is just politics as usual ... politicians who take advantage of the fear of newcomers in the area," he said.

Many community and business leaders have come to him saying the Hazleton ordinance is not right for Rogers. They believe it would cause ill will for many against the city because many legal residents will feel as though they are lumped in with the illegal immigrants, Womack said.

Womack said those conversations have not swayed his belief that going after illegal immigrants will make the community better for all residents.

"I still think nuisance abatement is within our purview and some of the things that manifest themselves in the illegal community are a nuisance," Womack said.

Womack said the City Council isn't expected to deal with anything related to illegal immigration during its regular meeting Tuesday.

Tom Gantt, 53, owner of Tom's Trading Post in Rogers, said he has mixed feelings about the original proposal. Gantt, who is also a missionary and delivers food and other aid to northern Mexico, agrees with Womack that something needs to be done about illegal immigration.

Womack said the accidental shooting of a police officer and other crime-related incidents involving illegal immigrants led him to propose the law. A Rogers police officer was shot and wounded when a woman struggled with a sheriff's deputy and the deputy's gun went off. She was in the country illegally and was deported.

Dennis Hivdon, 48, a Rogers resident, said he doesn't have a problem with illegal immigrants, and he doesn't like the idea of fining landlords and employers.

"I grew up with Mexican people. Anybody in America isn't true American except the Indians," Hivdon said.

Angel Roman, 64, of Rogers said he doesn't believe the city will pass the law if it is proposed.

"Who is going to do the work? I know many employers who need workers, and, if they don't employ undocumented workers on their businesses, they won't grow," said Roman.

Rogers City Attorney Ben Lipscomb said in a news conference a few weeks ago the new regulations, if approved, will be complaint driven and the person complaining will have to sign an affidavit. City officers won't be out looking for illegal immigrants, he said.

"If we are paying the rent, I don't think they want to prohibit us from renting," said Jose Lopez, 33, resident of Rogers.

Other residents propose using their political power to stop the measure.

"There has to be someone who will help them. Every person who sympathizes with them and is able to vote should vote against those measures in the next elections," said Mauricio Herrera, 45, of Rogers.

The Morning News' Lori Harrison-Stone, Robin Mero, Don Dailey and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you --ask what you can do for your country" John F. Kennedy

Angel Roman, 64, of Rogers said he doesn't believe the city will pass the law if it is proposed.

"Who is going to do the work? I know many employers who need workers, and, if they don't employ undocumented workers on their businesses, they won't grow," said Roman.
    Well, hire some DOCUMENTED ones, you moronic, cheap slobs!

Everytime an ordinance comes up, all the business people run in whining because they will lose money. Anybody that started a business based on illegal customers needs to go bankrupt!

Who'll do the work??? The same guys that did it before you leeches arrived, that's who!
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

Gofer wrote:

[quote]Everytime an ordinance comes up, all the business people run in whining because they will lose money. Anybody that started a business based on illegal customers needs to go bankrupt[quote]

I agree. They should all go bankrupt as punishment for breaking the law and ripping the taxpayers off!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    More biased reporting. Anyone notice that the mayor was the only one interviewed that wanted a ordinance? Why didn't the reporter interview some of the town folk that supported a tougher stand on illegal immigrants?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn