Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I believe the CA. Governor can veto a non-binding resolution.

I hope he's smarter than some of these people.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Ths is a political tool for them to keep voters minds off of how terrible they have done in managing their own state into bankruptcy by keeping voters focused on the Arizona law.

A diversion tatic if you ask me!

It would be interesting to see of the 40 alleged bill supporters who they are. I would wager that a majority percentage will Hispanic have sur-names.

My Grandfather is 97 and lives in Sacramento and has lived their for almost 60 years. He moved from the LA area in the 50's but now he says LA followed him to Sacramento. He is so sick of what has been happening in California and how it turning into Mexico as he put it. He was looking to go into an assisted care home in Sacramento this year but now wants to come here to where I live in Arizona.

Guess when I start helping him move next month I will see just how well my Arizona tags do in Mexicalli Sacramento.
    "Where is our democracy if the federal government can break the laws written and enacted by our congress on behalf of the people?"

June 23, 2010

Forty-four California lawmakers back Arizona boycott resolution

The head of the California Senate and minority lawmakers unveiled a proposal today to urge a boycott of Arizona to protest its new police immigration law.

Sen. Gil Cedillo, D-Los Angeles, said 44 legislators have already agreed to co-sponsor Senate Concurrent Resolution 113, which Cedillo introduced today. The bill urges, but does not mandate, an end to California public entities investing or doing business in Arizona.

It also recommends not traveling to Arizona -- suggesting that ethnic minorities' rights could be violated -- and calls on private businesses to consider severing business ties with Arizona.

Arizona's new law requires police officers to ask to see proof of legal status if they have "reasonable suspicion" that someone they stop could be an illegal immigrant. Officers can detain that person if they are not convinced of the proof that is supplied.

The law, which hasn't gone yet into effect, faces legal challenges by critics that believe it is unconstitutional and will lead to officers racially profiling Latinos and certain other people.

Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento, joined Latino, Asian, black and gay lawmakers at a press conference outside the Capitol to support Cedillo's resolution.

"The proponents of the Arizona law don't tell you the whole story," Steinberg said. "They tell you well this is only directed at those who are no in this country illegally. Not true."

"There is one defining characteristic that allows law enforcement official to stop someone and ask them for their papers," Steinberg said. "It's whether or not their skin is browner than my skin. That is not what this country is about."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer said officers are being instructed not to use ethnicity as a reason to ask to inquire about legal status.

But a number of Arizona police chiefs have expressed concern that officers will be forced to engage in racial profiling. The law also allows people to sue police if they don't think officers are doing enough to quiz people about their status.

At the news conference, Cedillo was asked why he doesn't stay out of the Arizona debate and focus on California's problems exclusively. "Because as an American I must speak out on issues that affect our nation," Cedillo, a longtime proponent of immigration reform, said.

He said California is a leader among states with strong ties to Arizona, and that it should send a message to Arizona "that division is not the way to go, that we must be united as a nation."

"We can't have 50 states try to have 50 different immigration policies" he said. "We must have one policy. It's too important and affects our international relations, our national security and our economic security."

Cedillo said the purpose of his resolution is also to put pressure on Congress and President Barack Obama to address immigration reform.

"Congress, you must act, and Mr. President you must lead," Cedillo said. "Because we cannot have more Arizonas."

Assemblymember Warren T. Furutani, D-Gardena, chairman of the California Asian Pacific Islander Caucus, said Arizona's law was "predicated on all those things we know are contrary to being an American."

"We're well beyond the time," Furutani said, "when because of the color of your skin, the texture of your hair, the slant of your eye, that you have to be suspect relative to being legal, relative to being an American citizen."

Alameda Assemblyman Sandré Swanson, a Democrat and chair of the California Legislative Black Caucus, said: "We have to ask ourselves, 'What next? In what direction does this law go?' "

Cedillo's resolution urges the California Public Employees' Retirement System and the California State Teachers' Retirement System to stop making any new investment in Arizona until the police law is repealed. It also urges Major League Baseball officials to remove Arizona from consideration as host for the 2011 All-Star Game.

Another black caucus member, Sen. Curren Price, D-Los Angeles, called a boycott a "painful thing," but added, "We must fight strong to make sure there is equal justice and equal protection."

The chair of the Legislature's gay caucus, Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, suggested ethnic minorities' rights were under attack while others employ them to do jobs.

"We don't want people to go back to plantation politics," he said. "If you're good enough to clean my toilet in my house but you can't live in my house, then that's criminal. That's hypocritical."

Ammiano said boycotts are a tradition used to exert pressure. People won't be hurt, he said, "because they are already hurt. They are being dehumanized."

Assemblyman Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles, addressed the crowd in Spanish. De León's mother was an immigrant who cleaned houses in the wealthy city of La Jolla, and he was inspired to became an instructor helping immigrants become U.S. citizens.

"The United States, although it seems that some in Arizona have forgotten, was built with the sweat of the brow of millions and millions of immigrants," De León said. "With that sweat we've earned much political space and our place in this great country."

Absent from the gathering was Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez, another Los Angeles Democrat, who has not signed on as a co-sponsor of Cedillo's resolution.

Pérez has said he is strongly opposed to Arizona's law and believes it will be struck down as unconstitutional. He has also said a boycott is not the answer.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlat ... s-co-.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Here is the list of who signed it.

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : S.C.R. No. 113

AUTHOR(S) : Cedillo

(Coauthors:

Senators Calderon, Corbett, Correa,
    DeSaulnier, Ducheny, Florez, Hancock, Kehoe, Leno, Liu,
    Lowenthal, Padilla, Pavley, Price, Romero, Steinberg,
    Wright, and Yee)

(Coauthors:

Assembly Members Ammiano,
    Beall, Blumenfield, Bradford, Charles Calderon, Coto, De
    La Torre, De Leon, Eng, Evans, Fong, Furutani, Hayashi,
    Hernandez, Bonnie Lowenthal, Mendoza, Nava, V. Manuel
    Perez, Salas, Saldana, Solorio, Swanson, Torlakson,
    Torres, Torrico, and Yamada).
    NO AMNESTY

Quote Originally Posted by TakingBackSoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    As bad off as California is ,financially, you would think they would stand along side of Arizona. But I wonder how many of those lawmakers in Cali are of Hispanic origin. So they are thinking of their OWN and not the State itself. which IS SELFISH of them and their actions.

I hope you are right Johndoe2 and it doesn't pass.
    EVERY Hispanic racist in the legislature has jumped on the band wagon.

After all, they all are in the council of LaRacist, as is the Solis Dept of Labor hater.
    Ditto that and cedillo, the racist la raza shrill, is leading the charge as is usually the case with issues involving illegal invaders in this state.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    Quote Originally Posted by TakingBackSoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    As bad off as California is ,financially, you would think they would stand along side of Arizona. But I wonder how many of those lawmakers in Cali are of Hispanic origin. So they are thinking of their OWN and not the State itself. which IS SELFISH of them and their actions.

I hope you are right Johndoe2 and it doesn't pass.
    EVERY Hispanic racist in the legislature has jumped on the band wagon.

After all, they all are in the council of LaRacist, as is the Solis Dept of Labor hater.
    Ditto that and cedillo, the racist la raza shrill, is leading the charge as is usually the case with issues involving illegal invaders in this state.
    THEY, LaRacist, are funded by the Cartels.

Obummer will not admit it, but he got elected with ILLEGAL votes and CARTEL money.
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by dregerk
    One Bill Gil is at it again.

He failed with drivers licenses for illegals now he wants this!

before i even read it, i knew this stupid twit had to be a part of it in some way, shape, or form

I wonder if they have taken into consideration that large companies like Intel headquartered in Silicon Valley have plants in Arizona. They could force these companies out of California taking along tax revenue and jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    Quote Originally Posted by dregerk
    One Bill Gil is at it again.

He failed with drivers licenses for illegals now he wants this!

before i even read it, i knew this stupid twit had to be a part of it in some way, shape, or form
    LOLOLOLOL
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

Cedillo is termed out this election cycle, if i remember right

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast