Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Reynosa Shelter Helps Illegal Immigrants

http://www.team4news.com/Global/story.a ... 8&nav=0w0v

REYNOSA
    Reynosa Shelter Helps Immigrants

Sep 6, 2006 02:11 PM PDT

Reported by Ray Pedraza

In less than four weeks, President Bush and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff have visited the Valley.

Both have touted immigration reform and their success of "Operation Jump Start" in helping lower the number of illegal immigrants crossing our border.

But is that really true? We sent Action 4 News Reporter Ray Pedraza south of the border to investigate.

To find some answers, the first place we went looking is an immigrant shelter in Reynosa, just south of the Hidalgo International Bridge.

It's home to immigrants fleeing their countries or trying to get into the U.S. They tell us while more of them are being caught, the number trying to cross hasn't decreased as US leaders claim.

In fact, folks we talked to say they're still crossing illegally even though the price of doing so is now sky high.

The name of the shelter is Casa Albergue Guadalupe, located just off the busy main town plaza in Reynosa.

That's where we found Axel Escobar, a Mexican immigrant who'd been recently deported. The 19 year old is originally from Mexico City but he'd been living in the US illegally for the past 13 years.

"I've practically been there my whole life, that's practically all I know," Escobar said.

He admitted that he was living a lie as an illegal. He learned English and stayed out of trouble. But one day the truth was revealed and he was sent back to Mexico.

Since then he's been deported twice trying to return to the U.S.

He says he once used his English and talked his way past a federal agent at a bridge; another time he swam across with a group and got lost.

"We actually tried to get help from an old lady but she actually called immigration on us. We took off running and eventually I ended up on the international border on the bottom of the freeway. And practically I was tired and too dehydrated... I just gave up," he recalled.

Most people who come to Casa Albergue get to stay for 3 days but Axel has stayed longer because he helps out at the church that operates the shelter.

Maria Del Socorro or "La Sra. Coco" runs Casa Albergue. The migrant home provides medical help, clothing, meals and lodging to about 30 to 40 illegals a night. It even teaches the U.S. bound immigrants some basic English.

"How are you?", "I need work", or "my stomach hurts" are some of the most common phrases learned.

The immigrants are also taught survival skills like how to treat snake bites and how to protect themselves from the sun.

And for anyone who thinks this is encouraging illegal immigration, Senora Coco says think again.

"We aren't supporting the movement", she says, "the church is supporting the person in their time of need."

"In fact, we try and discourage them and show them the dangers that someone encounters trying to cross illegally," affirmed Priest Oscar Lozano.

Senora Coco says that danger looms in many forms, from corrupt Mexican police and gangs along the river to coyotes (smugglers) right in front of the church who often kidnap them for ransom or smuggle them against their will.

Then there's the risk of deportation. She says the coyotes are using the presence of the National Guard troops along the border to make more money off of the illegals.

"According to those who visit, they (the smugglers) were charging $1,500 for a 3 night walk to Houston. Now it ranges from $2,000 to $2,500," she said.

But Sra. Coco doesn't believe the increased security or the increased fee has slowed the flow of illegals, nor has it worried Axel Escobar.

"Not necessarily. Trust me, there's a lot of Mexicans who go back and forth and they don't even notice," Escobar said, claiming to know how to outsmart federal agents in the US.

We asked how he did it.

"Well in some of the cases they have the timing, they take at least 35 minutes, 25 minutes and in some of these areas it takes them 45 minutes to get from one point to another one. So basically it's just one patrol car and inside of it there's two agents. So really we just have to see when they make the shift of security guards and after that we just take off running," he explained.

Like many immigrants he's grateful to the help from Casa Albergue but hopes to be leaving soon.

He said he'll make another attempt to re-enter the US and not get caught.

"Most likely I am. I mean it's all I know, it's my life, literally over there in the States," he told us.

And we of course spoke to several other illegal immigrants like Escobar who were recently deported.

They do acknowledge that the tightened security is somewhat of a deterrent, but like Axel they say they will just continue looking for ways to get across.

Casa Albergue is becoming increasingly popular with immigrants. So much so that by month's end, the shelter will be moving to a new and larger location.

Funding from the community has afforded them a new building and part of it will be ready by September 25. It will be run by community volunteers.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They do acknowledge that the tightened security is somewhat of a deterrent, but like Axel they say they will just continue looking for ways to get across.
    But Tony Snow last night said our borders are secured! He looks ridiculous!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn