Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Richardson Says He'd Tear Down The Border Wall

Richardson says he'd tear down border wall
    Presidential hopeful raises money in Austin
    Click-2-Listen
    By W. Gardner Selby

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, a Democratic aspirant for president in 2008, said Monday that the wall being erected on the U.S.-Mexico border needs to go.

"The wall should be torn down," Richardson told reporters after the Texas House and Senate approved resolutions in his honor.

Harry Cabluck
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

"It's bad policy. It was done to get election votes," Richardson said, referring to congressional action last year authorizing construction of a wall along parts of the border. "And the next president should not build it. I wouldn't build it."

Richardson, 59, a former U.S. House member, energy secretary and ambassador to the United Nations, instead favors doubling the size of the U.S. Border Patrol and investing in technology to detect illegal immigrants.

He would also commit to supporting economic development throughout Latin America and urge Mexico's president, Felipe Calderon, to consider joint border patrols.

Richardson, who stumped in Dallas on Sunday, paused in Austin for a lunch fundraiser that drew 200 guests and an estimated $80,000. Earlier, he held a morning fundraiser in Abilene, gathering $40,000. He was expected to end Monday with an evening event in San Antonio hosted by former San Antonio Mayor Henry Cisneros.

At the Austin luncheon, Richardson said that less than 10 percent of Democratic voters support him in polls but that the race — which lacks a viable vice president or president among candidates for the first time since 1952 — has barely begun.

Richardson said that he is proud to be the first Hispanic to make a presidential bid but that he is seeking election on his vision rather than his roots.

He said Texas should become relevant to the presidential nomination process and follow California in moving its primary date to February from March — an idea that is awaiting legislative action.

"Texas has been a flyover (state) for presidential candidates," Richardson said. "For both parties, it's been a place where you raise money."

Richardson's support for an earlier primary persuaded veteran Rep. Paul Moreno, D-El Paso, who had opposed changing the date. "The country can benefit," Moreno said. A February primary "gives us — Mexican Americans — more power."

wgselby@statesman.com, 445-3644

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/n ... rdson.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think he's sealed his fate. He'll never get elected President because he's stands with the OBL.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"If" Bush gets his bill through he may be President, once 30 million illigals become legal. This country will not be ours any more, that is how important this is to stop this bill. Sad That is what is how serious this is.
    <div>DEFEAT BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA THE COMMIE FOR FREEDOM!!!!</div>

MW
    "And the next president should not build it. I wouldn't build it."
    Well, guess we can take comfort in the fact that you won't be elected President of the United States.

Duncan Hunter has promised to have the fence built within 6 months of taking office.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    "And the next president should not build it. I wouldn't build it."
    Well, guess we can take comfort in the fact that you won't be elected President of the United States.
    No, but there's an excellent chance that he'll end up as the VP candidate for Hillary.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

I met him in November 2005. He may remember me. So, I will write him a letter explaining why I will not support him.
    "We have a sacred, noble obligation in this country to defend the rule
    of law. Without rule of law, without democracy, without rule of law being
    applied without fear or favor, there is no freedom."

Senator Chuck Schumer 6/11/2007
    <s

lets build the wall anad seal this jackA$$ inside the cement that is poured for it. its a shame that a governnor of a state who has also declared an emergency situation at the border now says that building a fence wont help nothing and that he would tear it down

OVER MY DEAD BODY, BILL

aMERICANS DIDNT DIE IN ALL THESE WARS JUST FOR MEXICO TO BE ABLE TO SEND ITS trash here and expect us to take them.
    screw that

Sorry Richardson you lose!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Cute penguin!

Quote Originally Posted by olivermyboy
    Cute penguin!
    Thanks, my grandaughter just taught me how to put it up there!! Great Kid!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast