Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rising resentment toward illegal immigrants ominous

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com

Guest Opinion: Rising resentment toward illegal immigrants ominous

LORENZO SIERRA
    Tucson Citizen

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."
    - Macbeth, Act IV, Scene 1

Sometime this year, someone somewhere in Arizona will commit a murderous act toward someone they consider an "illegal alien."

I hope and pray this does not happen.

But it's inevitable.

As an issue, illegal immigration is nearing a perfect storm of frustration. Politicians pass accountability in a never-ending cycle. Employers shirk blame as they cannot be held legally accountable for employees who provide forged documentation. Immigrants consciously risk their lives for the opportunity to work in America. Ideologically influenced newspaper columnists talk about humans in a dehumanizing manner. Racists have latched onto an issue where they openly practice bigotry and find themselves aligned with an increasing percentage of the population.

"Have been saying all along we need to do some 'Turkey' hunting of our own, at the border and if need be on the streets of our comunities. Is this advocating violance, no it's imposing justice that our elected oficials won't."

Please forgive the misspellings. The above statement comes verbatim from the Web site phxnews.com's "Your Opinion" section. Sentiments like this can be seen all across the Internet. Letters to the editor of mainstream newspapers feature more eloquent letters, but the underlying resentment is the same.

And it's growing louder every day.

Yes, violence is inevitable. Violence is the rebuttal racists use in a serious social debate.

The same politicians who pass the immigration buck will loudly decry the action. Employers will continue to hire those of questionable legal status. Ideologically influenced columnists will politicize a homicide. Racists will rejoice and make a hero of the shooter. Latinos will mobilize. And well-meaning but misguided citizens will write letters to the editor that essentially say, "He was here illegally anyway."

In the end, a human being will be severely harmed or killed. But we've all done such a good job of dehumanizing those who are here illegally that we won't even acknowledge the suffering of the victim's loved ones.

Again, I sincerely hope this does not happen. And I surely hope those in the public eye or in law enforcement will not proclaim "I never saw this coming." Even worse will be when anti-immigration leaders hypocritically proclaim sorrow and outrage. But you know that's going to happen, too.

My greatest fear, however, is that this resentment is seeping its way toward Americans of Latino descent.

I often wonder: If all of the Mexicans who are here illegally left willingly tomorrow, would there still be resentment against American Latinos? Sadly, my gut says yes.

June 8 and 9, newspapers across the country featured stories about the U.S. Census Bureau's announcement that the Latino population has reached 41.3 million.

The news site msn.com, as it often does, held a "live vote" tied to that story. The question was: "Does the Hispanic population boom represent a plus or minus for the United States?"

I voted "plus."

At the time I took the poll, 20,100 people had responded; 61 percent of the people in this unscientific poll voted "minus."

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness may take a little longer for me to achieve.

Yes, the Latino population will continue to outpace all others. Yes, Latinos will become an increasingly influential presence in America.

There's no stopping it.

The inevitable violence I predict for undocumented Mexicans may not necessarily move to American Latinos, but the possibility is there.

Realistically, I see a short-term blocking of Latinos from the highest levels of commerce and government. While not as serious as violence, the exclusion of American Latinos will slow America's path to a shared, prosperous future.

I can't stress enough my desire that my predictions do not come true. But we're in a time of great change. Change has a way of bringing out the worst in people - especially those who perceive losses due to the change.

In William Shakespeare's "Macbeth," the title character is warned of impending doom. Even so, he cannot avoid it.

I hope we're not a tragic figure like Macbeth.

Lorenzo Sierra is a native Arizonan who lives in Gilbert.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Ahhh! Lorenzo worries about that one illegal that may be harmed. Why doesn't he write an article about the many US Citizens that have already been killed by illegal immigrants
    I often wonder: If all of the Mexicans who are here illegally left willingly tomorrow, would there still be resentment against American Latinos? Sadly, my gut says yes
    No Lorenzo, you are wrong, we would be ecstatic, especially all of the legal American Latinos who want them to leave also.

It must of been that bad Taco making your gut guess wrong.

Re: Rising resentment toward illegal immigrants ominous

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504

Yes, violence is inevitable. Violence is the rebuttal racists use in a serious social debate.
    He's right about that. But there are plenty of racists on the side of illegal immigration. He should spend a little time over on the Brown Pride website or La Raza. Those are the nutjobs that have been acting violent and getting themselves arrested at the protests that have taken place recently. I've been there and I've seen these idiots in action. They ARE dangerous.

I think Lorenzo is wrong. Very wrong. First of all, I agree with Darlene, he did not care one iota about crimes being committed against American citizens. There was not one mention of the recent DEATH in Colorado of a police officer by an illegal alien.

To me he is simply a pro-illegal trying to come in from another angle, to try to convince people of something they already know better about.

To say that anti-illegal Americans are against Hispanic people in general is FALSE. Having lived in Miami, our family has very strong ties to people of Hispanic heritage. To be specific the teenager of one of our wonderful hispanic friends is here with us visiting for several days right now.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE WHO DISREGARD AND IGNORE OUR LAWS.

Oh, might I add, that I voted for Mel Martinez for Senator, and I did so with confidence that he was the right person for the job. If he turns into a pro-illegal advocate, I will feel that I made a mistake voting for him, that does not mean every American elected to office of Hispanic origin would do the same.

Please, let me also tell you, that the BEST BOSS I've EVER had in my life was an American of Hispanic heritage. Our entire family adored that man. He was a one in a million person.

No way, Sir. This is not about hate. This is about doing what is right in any country which has immigration laws. It's as simple as that.

Now regarding our culture and language. Yes, there are serious issues regarding that on many American's minds. Once again, that is not an issue about hate when it comes to culture and language. Think about it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The inevitable violence I predict for undocumented Mexicans may not necessarily move to American Latinos, but the possibility is there.
    Lorenzo is apparently unaware of the violence being done now by "undocumented" Mexicans. That would include kidnapping, rape, and murder, for starters.

Just tonight, O'Reilly had a story about an "undocumented" Mexican in Arizona with multiple convictions who was being sought in the murder of three people and the kidnapping of two more.

Maybe Lorenzo should start to worry about todays reality rather than trying to predict the future.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Lorenzo should take a look at these racists.

http://www.kirkbytv.com/index2.htm

Diesel

To LegalUSCitizen, I agree with you completely. Thank you for your
    fine reply. I wonder would Mr Sierra like to live in Mexico, his former
    homeland and speak so freely there. He knows he would 'disappear"
    in short order. Mexico is a sovereign nation that is trying to ship their
    poor to the USA! Why are so many Mexicans trying to escape their
    own culture/country? Americans know why so do Mr. Sierra, who
    wouldn't dare live therew