Rockingham County Illegals

Rockingham County
Posted: 5:39 PM Aug 9, 2007
Last Updated: 6:48 PM Aug 9, 2007
Reporter: Kelly Creswell
Email Address: kcreswell@whsv.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rockingham County deputies are one step closer to helping the federal government deport illegal immigrants.

Last week, five deputies from the Sheriff's Department officially started participating in a new program, which allows local law enforcement agencies to begin federal paperwork needed for deportation.

Deputies will be targeting illegals who commit crimes. Rockingham County Sheriff Don Farley says he will not go after illegals who are abiding by the law and working to make a living in the country.

"I want them to still be able to talk to the police. If they have a crime committed against them, I want them to call my office and know that we're going to be there to help them. I don't want them to be so afraid and say 'oh if I call, I'm going to be the next person in the system.' That is not what this is all about and that is not going to happen as long as I'm here," says Farley.

But the Rockingham County Sheriff's Office still does not have the authority to deport illegals directly.

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/9072686.html