Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Romney: Amnesty 'the wrong way to go'

September 3, 2007
    Romney: Amnesty 'the wrong way to go'

Mitt Romney campaigned in New Hampshire on Labor Day
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... way-to-go/

ASHLAND, New Hampshire (CNN) — Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney spent his Labor Day sharing his views on illegal immigration with prospective voters at a campaign stop in Ashland, the Granite State's geographical center.

The former Massachusetts governor drew a significant crowd in this small town nestled between mountains and nearby Squam Lakes. The crowd of mostly older voters dressed in their Sunday best peppered the presidential hopeful on national security issues and his stance on how to deal with the nation's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants.

"The wrong answer is amnesty. We tried it twice before," said Romney. "Amnesty only led to more people coming into the country 'cause they say, 'Oh gosh, look if you get in illegally, ultimately they'll let you stay.' That's the wrong message."

"Amnesty, in my opinion, is the wrong way to go, and I believe the other candidates in this race are planning on amnesty, which I think is a mistake," he continued. "Their view is that if [they] come here illegally we've got to create a special pathway so that they can stay here. My view is that in fact people who come here illegally should get in line with everybody else, and there should be no special pathway to citizenship or permanent residency for those who have come here illegally."

Romney also railed against employers and businesses that knowingly hire illegal immigrants, as well as so-called "sanctuary cities," where local officials flout federal immigration laws.

"We are going to end the practice of sanctuary cities in this country and stop welcoming people that are here illegally," Romney said.

–CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well that makes me feel a little bit better about him. Although, he didn't mention what he plans to do with the millions already here. I would have liked to hear the "deport" word.

Mitt Romney is the republican John Kerry.

nuff said
    "When the Government Fears the People, there is Liberty. When the People Fear the Government, there is Tyranny."

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne
    Well that makes me feel a little bit better about him. Although, he didn't mention what he plans to do with the millions already here. I would have liked to hear the "deport" word.
    Deportation is not necessary. He said it all. He has said; enforce the law and they will leave. He has said they need to go home and not for an overnight visit. When he said "Get in line with the rest" he mean in their home countries. I heard him say this in N.H.
    Why don't we ask him to make sure.

"Amnesty, in my opinion, is the wrong way to go, and I believe the other candidates in this race are planning on amnesty, which I think is a mistake," he continued. "Their view is that if [they] come here illegally we've got to create a special pathway so that they can stay here. My view is that in fact people who come here illegally should get in line with everybody else, and there should be no special pathway to citizenship or permanent residency for those who have come here illegally."

Romney also railed against employers and businesses that knowingly hire illegal immigrants, as well as so-called "sanctuary cities," where local officials flout federal immigration laws.

"We are going to end the practice of sanctuary cities in this country and stop welcoming people that are here illegally," Romney said.

It may not be a bad idea to keep an eye on Mitt for a variable candidate as we may get stuck with him in the primaries anyway. I, for one, will only vote for a candidate who will end this ridiculous policy of open borders and actually do something about the illegals in this country. It's all well and good to want Duncan Hunter or Tom Tancredo in there, but they may end up being spoilers and give Hillary the election, if she ends up being the Democrat candidate.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I believe I am hearing a lot of double talk from Romney. This was in March but he does not make it clear on if they stay or go home.
    I was sure that he said recently that they had to go.

Romney's words grow hard on immigration
    1. By Scott Helman, Globe Staff | March 16, 2007PHOENIX -- When Mitt Romney swooped into the heart of John McCain country this week, he brought a pointed message on illegal immigration: McCain's approach is the wrong one.

In a November 2005 interview with the Globe, Romney described immigration proposals by McCain and others as "quite different" from Romney also said in the interview that it was not "practical or economic for the country" to deport the estimated 12 million immigrants living in the US illegally. "These people contribute in many cases to our economy and to our society," he said. "In some cases, they do not. But that's a whole group we're going to have to determine how to deal with."

Asked about the discrepancy between Romney's comments in 2005 and now, spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom said: "Over the past year and a half, as the American people have learned all the details of the McCain-Kennedy approach, they have arrived at the same conclusion as Governor Romney: It rewards people who are here illegally."
    "My view is there should be no advantage for those that are here illegally in pursuing a course of permanent residency," Romney said at a press conference at the Arizona Republican Party headquarters. He also indicated he opposes a guest-worker program because it would "substantially increase the number of individuals who would come through on a temporary worker basis and open a path for citizenship for them, as well."

Romney has also expressed an openness to changing the US policy of granting automatic citizenship to those born on American soil, regardless of their parents' immigration status. Some conservatives call them "anchor babies," because as adults they can apply to bring their relatives from abroad.
    Romney's recent rhetoric on immigration has drawn criticism in some quarters, including in Florida, where many politicians are more accepting of immigration as part of the state's heritage.

"If I could go around, I'd get my deputies arresting every illegal here and dump them and bring them back to Mexico," Arpaio said. "It could be done, state by state."

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/artic ... migration/

Still don't trust him I believe the man is a flop-flipper

I like the rhetoric, and I have read that Romney publicly said he supports a policy of attrition through enforcement as a way to deal with the illegals who are here. Obviously this is primary season and we'll have to keep the pressure on him -- but at this point Romney's public statements about attrition through enforcement are MUCH better than Guiliani saying that he supports a special pathway (i.e., amnesty) for illegals.

I just don't believe this guy. He strikes me as someone who can be bought off by the established powers in D.C.
    "We have decided man doesn't need a backbone any more; to have one is old-fashioned. Someday we're going to slip it back on." - William Faulkner

I do believe as time goes by and contact with the public who is taking a strong stand on illegal immigration one can change their views, but it is hard to trust some one who took such a strong stand on the other side, he is most certainly flip flopping now!! Very hard to trust someone like that, suppose we could make him sign a statement to that fact!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "RED ALERT ACTIVISTS"!!
    LETS STOP THE TRUCKS FROM MEXICO

Instructions
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=81163
    Post comments here
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=81152
    ACTION ALERT REQUESTS!!
    HR1940 "BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP"
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=81156
    Please activists leave comments,at below link
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=79828
    ALIPAC AUGUST FUND RAISER
    PLEASE help ALIPAC keep the fight up"all donations welcome"extended to 9/11
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=75673
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast