Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Romney says nation's immigration system is 'a mess'

Romney says nation's immigration system is 'a mess'
    By Amy Lorentzen, Associated Press Writer | July 2, 2007

JEFFERSON, Iowa --Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney on Monday gave a succinct description of the nation's immigration system: a mess.

The former Massachusetts governor said that while the system must be changed to protect the nation's borders, an immigration reform bill that was shot down last week in Congress was a flawed solution, in part because it included "a major amnesty provision."

"The people of America said 'Stop, that's just wrong,' and (lawmakers) finally had to listen to the fact," Romney told about 100 people during a town-hall style meeting at a golf course in Jefferson. "Well, a few senators -- both Republican and Democrat -- listened to the people long enough to say 'We're stopping this bill.'"

Romney said immigration is one of the many challenges facing the country.

"Our immigration system, I already mentioned, is a mess," he said, running through a laundry list of policies that should be changed in Washington.

Later Monday in Carroll, he was asked the dreaded hypothetical question that no Republican presidential candidate wants to hear.

If President Bush or Vice President Dick Cheney were indicted and convicted of crimes while in office, would you -- as president -- pardon them?

Romney declined to answer, saying he wouldn't speculate and that "I certainly don't want a newspaper article to read "Romney agrees to pardon."

"I don't think there's any prospect of that occurring," he said, diverting from the question and reaffirming his support for the president.

"I know he makes mistakes, every human is going makes mistakes, but I believe he is acting out of a desire to protect America and American people," Romney said.

Pardoning a president wasn't a hypothetical in 1974. President Ford pardoned former President Nixon for any Watergate crimes he might have committed.

Before fielding that questions, Romney was asked by the same man if he would support the impeachment of Cheney.

"No, no I wouldn't," he said. "Sometimes we use the word impeach to say we should go after people who we disagree with very strongly with their views. I don't believe that. I wouldn't impeach someone for having different views.

"I'd impeach them if they carried out a high crime or misdemeanor, and that I don't believe has happened," he said.

Romney was in the midst of an extended campaign trip to Iowa that includes several town-hall meetings and plans to march in four parades.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... is_a_mess/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

So what does Romney propose to do to straighten out this "mess"?
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>