By RON HART

PLACIDA

So weakened by his lack of popularity and public protest when he did attempt some reform, George W. Bush did not adequately deal with illegal immigration. As a result, he punted to the Obama leftists the power to shape immigration policy.

Democrats came to power by dividing their supporters into classes based on perceived slights and victimization, placing immigrants in a special, fledgling growth area - a loyal voting bloc. Republicans, who view them as a cheap way to finish that rock wall in their backyard, never had the courage to address the issue.

Democrats do not want self-reliant immigrants like Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal for fear they might undermine their "All Minorities are Victims and Must be Subsidized to Succeed" platform. "Racist" Republicans do not want any Puerto Ricans for fear they might marry their daughters.

Even when we try to make English our official language, we meet with protest from Democrats and one Republican governor of California. Americans are tired of pressing "1" for English. As poll after poll proves, we want English to be our way of communicating, followed closely by that pig Latin-derived language Snoop Dog uses in which every word ends with "izzle."

If you do not think unfettered immigration can pose a problem for the existing inhabitants, just ask Native Americans (you may know them as Indians).

I have no problem with immigration; it is the illegal part that's troubling. Hard-working immigrants here legally in active pursuit of the American dream delight me. But we should decide whom we let in. We should not just allow in the freeloaders (the future Democratic base) who think they are entitled to come here and lay claim to our largesse with an anchor baby.

Should immigration even be a federal issue, since illegals mostly use local services such as schools, hospitals, police, etc.? It is estimated that an illegal family with kids in school costs a city $23,000 per year in services. With special English classes, some estimates are higher. Without a consumption-based "fair tax," illegals pay nothing toward their own keep. We pay their costs in property and sales taxes.

Gang activity is now mostly driven by illegal Hispanic immigrants. Thankfully, there are signs that Attorney General Eric Holder will be tough on at least some illegals. Last week he ceremoniously arrested 700 Mexican drug and gun dealers out West. He might have arrested them and charged them with capitalism, the worst crime anyone can commit in the eyes of the Obama administration.

Politicians find themselves in tall weeds here, wallowing in a problem of their own making. They look only to polls, not their consciences, for guidance on votes. My suggestion is simple: If someone wants to come to America, he or she must add value rather than be a drain.

I was reminded recently how our policies have changed when German scientist Konrad Dannenberg died in Alabama at age 96. He invented the V-2 rocket for Nazi Germany. We brought him to the USA, where he spearheaded our missile program that kept us safe. As his obituary should have said, he was survived by the human race. I feel strongly that people like Dannenberg (and any Eastern European supermodel) should quickly be granted citizenship. We must replenish our reservoir of future Donald Trump wives.

We should decide who comes here. Taxpaying American citizens should not be put upon by those looking to take advantage of the government cheese plate the Democrats will offer. If an illegal wants to stay, he should have to serve in our military for his green card. Illegals have a long history of fighting in America.

Given the rising unemployment in the U.S., many of the illegals who came here for work are heading home. This leaves us with the ones who are here to mooch off us or who are willing to live a life of crime; neither is positive for America. Unless a Dominican has a 97 mph fastball and pitches for the Braves, I feel he should not be here illegally.

Those immigrants who want to come here and who are willing to do something of value for that privilege should be welcomed. Since they have long been willing to come here to do the work Americans are unwilling to do, I suggest their first job should be to write and enforce a coherent immigration policy for us.

Ron Hart is a Southern libertarian who writes a weekly column on politics and life. His e-mail is RevRon10@aol.com.

http://www.newsherald.com/articles/immi ... egals.html