Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ron Paul doesn't 'fully endorse' Mitt Romney

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ron Paul doesn't 'fully endorse' Mitt Romney

Obama gets hurricane briefing, calls Gov. Scott
    Protesters create 'Romneyville' in Tampa

Aug 26, 2012

By Catalina Camia, USA TODAY
    Updated 49m ago

Republican Ron Paul has run for president three times.
    By Justin Hayworth, Des Moines Register

TAMPA -- Ron Paul says he turned down an offer to speak here at the Republican National Convention because he didn't want to endorse Mitt Romney or clear his remarks with his ex-rival's campaign.

"It wouldn't be my speech," Paul told The New York Times in an interview. "That would undo everything I've done in the last 30 years. I don't fully endorse him for president."

MORE: Complete GOP convention coverage

The Times story says convention planners offered the Texas congressman a speaking role, but only if Paul gave a "full-fledged endorsement of Mr. Romney" and agreed to have his remarks vetted.

Paul is speaking today at his own rally at the University of South Florida in Tampa, in an event that's separate from the GOP gathering where Romney will accept the Republican nomination. USA TODAY's Susan Davis will have full coverage of the Paul rally.

Paul, a Texas congressman, stopped actively campaigning for the GOP presidential nomination in May. He earned 177 delegates through primaries and caucuses, according to an AP tally.

The Romney campaign agreed to a request from Paul supporters to pay tribute to Paul in a short film that will be shown during the GOP convention. Paul has a devoted and passionate following because of his small-government views, and his supporters have helped shape the GOP platform. Many but not all of Paul's supporters will be seated at the convention and take part in its activities.

Paul's son, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, was slated to speak at the GOP convention on Monday. All of Monday's activities are being rescheduled because of Tropical Storm Isaac.

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    And here I thought the GOP fools would get to him and twist his arm into submission. Good for you Ron Paul. What a stark difference to the current nominee who has shown he'll do and say anything in order to become President. Politicians with conviction are in short supply.