Rudy Giuliani endorses one-time rival Mitt Romney

By Callum Borchers
Globe Correspondent
April 23, 2012

Saying Mitt Romney has “the resume and background for the job,” former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani endorsed the likely Republican nominee for president today.

Giuliani, who like Romney vied unsuccessfully for the GOP nomination in 2008, announced his support during an appearance on the Fox News Channel.

The endorsement comes a day before New York and four other states hold their presidential primaries.

“I think he has an understanding of the economy that’s far deeper than the president and far deeper than most people,” Giuliani said, “and I think he has the strength and toughness to handle foreign policy.”

Giuliani said he and Romney had a “really good long talk” over breakfast last week.

There was plenty to discuss.

After ending his own presidential bid four years ago, Giuliani endorsed eventual Republican nominee John McCain over Romney. Until Monday, Giuliani had remained highly critical of Romney, even after the two were no longer political rivals.

In January, Giuliani said Romney “will say anything to become president of the United States.”

He added on MSNBC: “I’ve never seen a guy change his positions on so many things, so fast, on a dime, on everything. Pro-choice, pro-life. …Then he was pro cap-and-trade. Now he’s against cap-and-trade. He was pro-(health care) mandate for the whole country, then he becomes anti-mandate, and he takes that page out of his book and republishes the book. I could go on and on.”

During the same interview, Giuliani likened Newt Gingrich to Ronald Reagan, indicating he favored the former House speaker over Romney. But on Monday, Giuliani declared “Mitt has won fair and square.”

In a statement, Romney said he was “proud to earn the support of such a distinguished leader and public servant to our country.”

“Rudy’s successes in turning around New York City are well-known, and his name is synonymous with leadership, uniting a city in the aftermath of the worst terrorist attack in our nation’s history,” Romney added. “I look forward to his help in the months ahead as I work to restore America’s promise and reverse President Obama’s failed policies.”

Giuliani said he is not under consideration for serving as Romney’s vice presidential running mate.

Callum Borchers can be reached at callum.borchers@globe.com.

Try BostonGlobe.com for free