Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Rumors of raid cancel festivities

http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp ... Rumor17390

Rumors of raid cancel festivities
    By TOM DROEGE World Staff Writer
    5/5/2006

Fears of federal authorities rounding up illegal immigrants also spur drops in attendance at churches.
    Fears of illegal immigration crackdowns in Tulsa have led to the cancellation of a major Cinco de Mayo festival this weekend as well as shrinking attendance at Hispanic churches.

"The rumor is very strong about immigration (authorities) picking up people," said Blas Gaytan, coordinator of the Cinco de Mayo event at Expo Square.

The rumors are unfounded, officials say, but the fear created by them is still affecting public gatherings.

Anticipating weak attendance at the Cinco de Mayo event, Gaytan and Expo Square officials decided to scrap it to avoid a financial loss.

"It was an economic decision," said Paula Crain, Expo Square's events coordinator. "The timing was just wrong."

The three-day festival, which would have started Friday, attracted between 10,000 and 15,000 people last year, Crain said.

Elsewhere in Tulsa and surrounding towns, churches with large Hispanic congregations have reported low numbers in the last few weeks.

"Attendance has dropped because there were rumors that immigration enforcement was here," said

David Medina, director of the Hispanic Apostolate Diocese of Tulsa. "The ones who came were afraid."

In the past few Sundays, only about half of the congregation turned out for Mass at St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, 2431 E. Admiral Blvd.

The same is true for predominately Hispanic churches in Tahlequah, Pryor and Stillwater, he said.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Carl Rusnok said the rumors likely stem from a raid in late April when 1,000 employees of pallet manufacturer IFCO were arrested at more than 40 company sites nationwide, including one in Oklahoma City.

"There have been many, many rumors floating around the nation, and not just Oklahoma and Texas," Rusnok said in a telephone interview from Dallas.

Without commenting on specifics of the agency's enforcement policy, Rusnok said "criminal aliens" and businesses that hire illegal immigrants are a high priority.

"The point to be made is that anybody who is here illegally runs the risk of being identified, detained and deported to their country of origin," he said.

The number of illegal immigrants living in Tulsa is not known, but informal estimates suggest that about 35,000 people live here illegally.

Last year, ICE deported 167,700 people nationwide, with about 84,300 of those classified as criminal aliens. The majority of those who are deported are from Mexico, Rusnok said.

Tulsa immigration attorney Mark Leblang said it would damage the reputation of federal agents if they were to randomly raid churches and events where illegal immigrants gather peacefully.

"I don't see immigration (authorities) going to local Cinco de Mayo events or going to a church because that just gives the U.S. government a bad name," Leblang said.

Immigration agents have plenty of access to illegal immigrants through the court system and businesses, he said.

"They don't need to come out and raid a rally," he said.

Although the rumors of random crackdowns might be false, the fears exist, Leblang said.

They come at a time when immigration has been in the national spotlight with this week's "A Day Without Immigrants" work and business boycott.

A pro-immigrant rally in downtown Tulsa drew a few thousand people, but organizers says the numbers were lower than expected because of "migra" fears. Migra is a term Spanish speakers commonly use to refer to U.S. immigration enforcement.

Those fears have not stopped another Cinco de Mayo festival, set to be held in Tulsa at Plaza Santa Cecilia, 2160 S. Garnett Road.

"It's nothing but rumors -- there's nothing going on," said co-owner Elizabeth Miranda.

The event, which includes music, food and a carnival, is scheduled from noon to 10 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

The Mexican holiday celebrates the 1862 Battle of Puebla, in which the Mexican Army defeated French invaders.

The holiday often is confused with Mexican Independence Day, which is Sept. 15.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Droege 581-8361
    tom.droege@tulsaworld.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I just have this huge smile on my face right now lol

Yep...I love it that their immigration status is finally spoiling their peace of mind and their fun...as they have spoiled and are spoiling ours. Tit for tat.

MJ

I'm Glad that Laughing is so good for my Health cause ILMAO :P
    Your Rights END where MY Rights Begin. You have NO Rights if You Are ILLEGAL.

Last year, ICE deported 167,700 people nationwide, with about 84,300 of those classified as criminal aliens. The majority of those who are deported are from Mexico, Rusnok said.
    50% of those deported were CRIMINAL aliens -- but I thought these were just 'good folks' coming here to do the jobs the American people won't do
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

That gives me an idea. I think I'll go down to Old Town in San Diego and yell:

LA MIGRA!! LA MIGRA!!

And watch all the illegals scurry out like the cockroaches they are.
    [b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€

Good, I'm glad it ruined their Cinco de Mayo. I haven't been to a 4th of July celebration in downtown Napa in years. It's free and there's entertainment so therefore its full of illegals. I got tired of hearing spanish and being hit from behind with baby strollers. Not the way I want to celebrate America's birthday.

I am glad some of the illegals are feeling the fear they should have as they are in this country illegally. I am also glad the church is feeling the loss of attendance as many support amnesty just because they want the donations.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Should we feel encouraged?

I went out last nite for Cinco De Mayo, with the sole purpose of observing the activities. We have one club here that has a huge cinco celebration. Every year it is jam packed with every illegal in our town. In the last couple years there have been fights, and even a couple stabbings. Last nite, it was all locals. I didn't see a single illegal. I am telling you the place was dead. I stopped in another bar, which caters to illegals, and it was dead too. Are they catching on that they are not welcome here? Or were they just all in hiding last nite, because Cinco de Mayo seems like an obvious nite for them to be out. I really hope it is the former.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Good.....glad we're raining on their parade and didn't have to do a thing.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast