Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ryan predicts ‘big fight’ over Trump’s border wall, says he doesn’t know how it will

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ryan predicts ‘big fight’ over Trump’s border wall, says he doesn’t know how it will

Ryan predicts ‘big fight’ over Trump’s border wall, says he doesn’t know how it will be resolved

By Erica Werner October 8 at 6:01 PM

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan said Monday there will be “a big fight” after the midterm elections over funding President Trump’s border wall, but he said he doesn’t know how the issue will be resolved.

“We intend on having a full-fledged discussion about how to complete this mission of securing our border, and we will have a big fight about that,” Ryan (R-Wis.) said at the National Press Club.

“We’ll figure out how to do it in December,” Ryan added. “I can’t speak to what the outcomes will be.”

Ryan’s comments came in response to a question after a speech in which he promoted the GOP tax cuts and other agenda items while attacking Democrats, weeks ahead of elections that will decide control of the House.

Ryan and other GOP leaders had urged Trump to postpone a fight over the border wall until after the election. Trump last month signed legislation that funds about 75 percent of the government, including the Pentagon, through Sept. 30, 2019.

The remainder of federal agencies, including the Department of Homeland Security that funds border construction, are operating under a short-term spending bill through Dec. 7.

Trump wants $5 billion for the border wall in 2019, whereas Senate Democrats have agreed to only $1.6 billion. It’s unclear how the issue will be resolved.

“We have a commitment to go fight for securing the border and getting these policy objectives achieved,” Ryan said.

Trump repeatedly promised during the campaign that the wall would be paid for by Mexico.

Ryan was also asked about the disappearance and alleged killing last week of dissident Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi while he was visiting the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.

Ryan did not criticize Saudi Arabia, saying instead that answers were needed from both countries.

“I think it’s very disturbing, it’s very unnerving we just need to get clear facts from both countries ... from the Turks and the Saudis,” he said. “As an elected leader we stand with you in the media in solidarity to making sure that this does not go unnoticed, and that we stand and fight for answers so we can bring transparency and accountability.”

Ryan was also asked about the new report from the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change that says nations will need to take “unprecedented” actions to cut their carbon emissions over the next decade, to hold global warming to moderate levels.

“I think the answer is technology,” Ryan said.

“We as a developed country are as clean as it gets,” Ryan said, but he said developing countries such as India and China could benefit dramatically from improved technology and the United States should share technology with its allies.

Ryan is retiring from Congress and said he doesn’t have plans to try to return to elected office, but you “never say never.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.9f87b5aaf88b
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It will be interesting!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Shut the government down.

No DACA
    No Amnesty #8
    No New Applications
    No Path to Stay
    No Renewals of Work Permits!

DEPORT THE WHOLE FAMILY, TURN THEM AWAY AT THE BORDER!

NO PAPERS, NO ENTRY, NO RIGHTS

BUILD THAT WALL
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

With Nikki Haley leaving...and Sessions most likely leaving...I hope Trump does NOT consider Lindsay Grahamnesty as Attorney General!!!

Build that Wall...no refugees, no asylum, no TPS, no illegal aliens, no visa overstays!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

I really don't think Sessions is going to leave. Trump was just so upset and I think rightly so with the Russia Hoax, what a drain, what an expense, what pressure on everyone, for no valid reason at all. Nothing to do with Russia Collusion because there wasn't any and no reason to even suspect that there was any, yet that was the whole basis for this absurd investigation. Terrible. But it looks like it's about to pass and thanks to House Republicans on that Intelligence Committee, so many wrongs and civil rights violations uncovered in FBI and DOJ, the plot to influence the election, to blackmail or frame Trump if he won, to spy on his campaign, to try and entrap campaign workers .... horrible, all going on while Sessions is AG, makes no sense.

I'm sure Trump likes what Sessions is trying to do with immigration.

MW
    Ryan predicts ‘big fight’ over Trump’s border wall, says he doesn’t know how it will be resolved
    Without leverage, which we won't have, the "big fight" Ryan is talking about won't amount to much more than a Kavanaugh "boof."

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It can't be resolved and won't be. Trump will get some more money for more bollard steel type fencing, but there will be no wall money. The first chance Trump can or could get any big immigration control related bill or funding through the Congress is if Republicans win enough seats in the mid-terms to have the votes to pass such bills and funding. We all know that. We've always known that. Can he get $2 or $3 billion instead of $1.6 billion for more new and improved bollard steel fencing? Probably, in return for giving DemoQuacks something, but he won't get the $5 billion, let alone the $25 billion. We all already know that. We don't have the votes.

MW
    That bollard fencing you're talking about is easily climbed. Furthermore, illegals can see right through it to know when the coast is clear for climbing. Expecting that fencing to stop illegals is like "boofing" in the wind. Give me a rope and grappling hook and I can be over it in five minutes or less. Give me a wielding torch and I can get a whole lot of illegals through in 15 minutes.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    That bollard fencing you're talking about is easily climbed. Furthermore, illegals can see right through it to know when the coast is clear for climbing. Expecting that fencing to stop illegals is like "boofing" in the wind. Give me a rope and grappling hook and I can be over it in five minutes or less. Give me a wielding torch and I can get a whole lot of illegals through in 15 minutes.
    I've got employees who can scale the "great beautiful wall". Americans can scale any wall and so can Mexicans and Central Americans. Walls keep out vehicles and animals, not people, unless you've got sharp-shooters in towers picking them off as they climb. That's why I'm not a big fan of the wall. And walls won't even keep out vehicles and animals if you use explosives or IED's to blow up sections, which everyone these days knows how to do.

Border Patrol agents are the ones who like that bollard steel fencing they can see-through.