Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

S.C. lawmaker lands in jail

S.C. lawmaker lands in jail

  CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) – A South Carolina lawmaker was arrested after his pistol fired when he confronted two utility workers checking for storm damage in the back*yard of his parents’ home.
      Rep. Wallace Scarborough, 47, was charged with two counts of assault with intent to kill after he brandished and pointed a pistol at utility workers and then fired his gun about 9:45 p.m. Saturday, according to a city of Charleston police report.
      The Charleston Republi*can, who was house sitting for his parents, was released from jail Sunday on a person*al recognizance bond, ac*cording to jail officials.
      Two South Carolina Electric and Gas employees were check*ing electric equipment after a series of storms passed through the area, SCE&G spokesman Eric Boomhower said.
      Scarborough’s lawyer, state Rep. John Graham Alt*man, said Scarborough asked the workers to leave and when they told him they had a right to be there, the lawmaker returned to the house to call police.
      On the way, the gun acci*dentally discharged and a bullet hit the porch, said Alt*man, R-Charleston. One of the workers said the lawmaker shined a flash*light on the pistol and said, “You see what I have? Get off my property,” according to the police report. The work*ers fled when the gun went off, the report said.
      Altman said he wants the charges dismissed and an apol*ogy from the electric company.
      “I don’t think it’s against the law to fire a pistol into your own back porch. It’s ab*solutely obscene to think that a judge would uphold these charges,” Altman said.
      Altman said the workers had “no right to be in his backyard at 9:30 at night. You ought to knock on the door.” Boomhower said the storm cut power in the area but Altman said the lights stayed on at Scarborough’s parents’ home.
    http://www.hpe.com/
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

MW
    I agree with Altman. Anyone in my backyard after dark is liable to get a load of buckshot for their troubles. The utility workers should have knocked on the door and explained what they were doing. Actually, this should happen even during daylight hours - it's called being considerate and polite. Showing up in my backyard after dark, no matter what the reason, is called tresspassing!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn