Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Salazar: Fence not real solution to immigration

Salazar continues to dissappoint:

http://greeleytrib.com/article/20060927/NEWS/109270099

Salazar: Fence not real solution to immigration

September 27, 2006

By Brian D. Sabin

Medill News Service

WASHINGTON -- Colorado Sen. Ken Salazar on Tuesday called a measure to build a 700-mile fence along the U.S.-Mexico border a "one percent solution" but would not rule out supporting the bill.

With November's elections rapidly approaching and Congress scheduled to take a pre-election break at the end of this week, the fence bill is one of several narrowly focused measures the House recently pushed through to address illegal immigration. The Senate could vote on the bill as early as Friday.

Senators from both parties have expressed concerns about the measure. A bipartisan group including Salazar, a Democrat, Lindsay Graham, R-S.C., Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., and John McCain, R-Ariz., said on Tuesday that the House proposals do not address immigration law and other serious issues.

"I think what everybody is trying to say is that we want the legal system in this country to be respected," Graham said. "Right now, the law regarding immigration is pretty much a joke."

Graham and other senators said they prefer a comprehensive package they passed earlier this year. That bill would, among other things, expand the guest worker program and offer amnesty to some of the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants already in the U.S. The Senate bill also included $1.8 billion to build 370 miles of border fence.

House Republicans balked at the Senate's package and instead focused on enforcement and border security. Last week the House passed bills to make tunneling beneath the U.S. border a federal offense, to allow the Department of Homeland Security to detain some illegal immigrants indefinitely, and to give local law enforcement officers the authority to apprehend illegal immigrants, which was previously a federal responsibility.

Salazar said House Republicans were tossing up partial answers to a complex problem for gains at the polls.

"I think that with three days left in the session, with 43 days left before the election that the people who are trying to push forward with border security at this point are only doing it for political advantage," Salazar said.

Salazar called the proposed fence a "one-percent solution" and said he wanted Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., to withdraw the bill.

A withdrawal is highly unlikely, according to Carolyn Weyforth, a spokeswoman for Frist. The majority leader on Monday night coupled the fence bill with a measure on military trials of suspected terrorists. That legislation, which had caused a rift in the Republican Party between President Bush and several prominent senators including McCain and Graham, addresses who can be labeled an "unlawful enemy combatant."

Democrats are leery of blocking what could be portrayed by the GOP as a major national security measure so close to the midterm elections, and Salazar and other senators would not indicate whether they would vote for or against the combined fence and tribunal bill. Republicans, meanwhile, spoke in favor of the measures.

"I support this proposal," Sen. Wayne Allard, R-Colo., said in a statement. "Congress needs to pass this before we recess this week."

Weyforth said she believes Frist has enough support to bring about a final vote on Friday. If passed the bill is likely to become law. President Bush last week said he would sign the legislation if it reaches his desk.

Simple solution is to hand this chump a pink slip. Earth to politicans. WE DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK. YOUR OPINION IS WORTHLESS TO US. WE VOTED YOU IN AND WE THINK WE NEED A FENCE AND YOU WORK FOR US. IF MY BOSS TOLD ME TO DO SOMETHING AND I TOLD HIM THAT I DON'T AGREE WITH HIM AND THEREFORE I'M GOING TO DO WHAT I THINK IS RIGHT THEN I WOULD BE FIRED IN ABOUT 2 MINS OR LESS. YET POLITICANS DO THIS AND CONTINUE TO GET REELECTED. WAKE UP AMERICA, THE POLITICANS WORK FOR US, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Right now, the law regarding immigration is pretty much a joke."
    You mean there are actually immigration laws on the books? YOU CERTAINLY FOOLED ME.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.