Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

SAN DIEGO, CA: In county, 1 in 5 lacks basic literacy skills

In county, 1 in 5 lacks basic literacy skills

Illiteracy numbers shot up between 1992 and 2003

By STACY BRANDT - Staff Writer |
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:08 PM PST

Roughly 1 in 5 people in San Diego County lacks basic English literacy skills, according to data released Thursday by federal education officials.

The estimate is based on information that the National Center for Education Statistics collected in 2003 about adult literacy. It wasn't until recently that the center, a federal agency that gathers and analyzes education-related data, broke down the numbers to the state and county level.

In San Diego County, 21 percent of people 16 or older are functionally illiterate, the data show.

That percentage is double what it was in 1992. At that time, the center estimated that only one out of every 10 people in the county was illiterate.

The increase appears to be related to immigration, said Debra Jones, director of adult education for the California Department of Education. Counties that have seen a significant amount of immigration show a lower literacy rate, she said.

In March 1990, San Diego County had roughly 429,000 immigrants, making up about 17 percent of the population, according to U.S. Census data. By 2000, the number of immigrants in the county had grown to 606,000, making up about 21.5 percent of the total population.

The illiteracy numbers include people who don't speak English, but who may be able to read and write in another language.

Adult illiteracy is linked to unemployment, crime and poverty, according to the National Institute for Literacy.

The report released Thursday found that California had the highest illiteracy rate of any state in the nation, with 23 percent of people lacking basic skills in 2003. That's up from 15 percent in 1992.

Jones said she thinks the numbers are accurate and reliable, but also a bit shocking.

The center decided to put together the state and county estimates to help educators and politicians set priorities for local literacy programs, officials said.

Information is available only for 1992 and 2003. Officials with the center said they don't expect to do another study until 2016.

Just because people don't have basic literacy skills doesn't mean they can't read, said Carrie Scott, literacy coordinator for Carlsbad Library's learning center. Rather, those who are functionally illiterate often have major holes in their understanding of the language, she said.

"It's actually very rare that we see someone who can't read or write at all," she said.

The learning center offers Carlsbad residents the chance to pair with tutors who help them fill in the gaps.

The program has helped Kimberly Gage, 38, improve her reading skills enough to get a driver's licence and put together a resume. It has also boosted her self-esteem, Gage said: "It has helped me a lot."

The Carlsbad resident said she didn't learn to properly read while in school, though she could read enough to get by. Now, she hopes the knowledge she's built through the program will help her get a job.

Schools and libraries throughout San Diego County are offering similar programs to help people boost their literacy skills or learn English as a second language.

Vista Unified School District's adult education program has grown over the past decade from roughly 8,000 people to 18,000, Principal Richard Crane said.

Most of those students are not native English speakers, and many are also illiterate in their native language, he said.

Whatever language a person speaks at home, improving literacy skills can dramatically affect his or her life, Crane said.

"It provides so many additional opportunities ---- not just to enrich their lives on a personal level, but to economically survive," he said.

Contact staff writer Stacy Brandt at (760) 901-4009 or sbrandt@nctimes.com.

LINK: SAN DIEGO, CA: In county, 1 in 5 lacks basic literacy skills

The Carlsbad resident said she didn't learn to properly read while in school, though she could read enough to get by. Now, she hopes the knowledge she's built through the program will help her get a job.
    Oh, horsecrap! What was she doing during her school years instead of studying? Of course, it is everyone else's fault I am where I am.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

INDIAN RIVER COUNTY, FLA. — About 20 percent of adults in Florida lack basic literacy skills like being able to read a newspaper article or a brochure, according to data released Thursday by the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics.

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-142490.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Welcome to Mexico! Woo HOO!!

Here in Mexico the government hopes to keep most of its population illiterate. For if the masses are educated they would be able to learn about their rights and defend them. Also an educated public has that annoying habit of actually watching over their government and criticizing its wrongdoings. Oh, the horrors! Of course we can't have any of that down here because that would change things for the better for the masses and those in power would have to give it up and or live up to it.

Kids in the public schools here are pushed through even if they don't comprehend the material. Often the teachers themselves are not qualified to teach the material (this fact was made public recently when it was found that less than 40% of teachers here could pass a general standardized teacher qualification test!). Also it is custom for parents to offer gifts and money to teachers so that they will give their children good grades.

In way too many instances, the degrees people have here were bought and are not worth the paper they are written on.

I personally see this because I am a mother with school aged children here in Mexico and I have denounced (many times) the abilities of my kids teachers (I have three advanced degrees). When a teacher is in error they sure don't like to be corrected especially by a student- so I do this in private but I make them know that they're, uh how should I say, in the wrong.

Several years back when my step son was in high school he was ahead of the classwork because he's naturally smart. Instead of further challenging him, his teacher gave him three weeks off until the rest of the class caught up with him! I was furious but of no help because my Español at the time was not very good.

......see a pattern here? Its been called the "dumbing down of America" and its no coincidence that its taking place now. Globalization is something that will bring everyone to "world standards". This means some nations will be brought up while others will be brought down. Have a guess at our children's future?

You thought the NEA was bad get ready for Elba Esther Gordillo's SNTE, where the standard operating procedure is for teachers pay up to $6,000USD and or inherit their positions! Here in Mexico teachers don't teach because they find it rewarding (although some do), they teach because it is a stepping stone to a political career. And a career in politics opens so many doors...$$$$$$[/b]