Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

San Diego County Influx of Refugees from Iraq

County fielding influx of refugees from Iraq

Majority settle in east, which caters to growing Middle Eastern population

By Leonel Sanchez 10:00 a.m. January 4, 2009

Last fiscal year, 2,356 Iraqis arrived in San Diego County. -

LAURA EMBRY / Union-Tribune
    Iraqi newcomers by the numbers
    2,356 Iraqis who arrived in San Diego County in the past fiscal year.
    13,823 Iraqis who came to the United States last fiscal year.
    17,000 Number expected in United States this fiscal year.
    5,000 Iraqis expected this year who worked for the U.S. government in Iraq.
    33,000 Number of Iraqi refugees who came to the United States between 1991 and 2006, mainly in the early 1990s.
    SOURCES: Catholic Charities Diocese of San Diego and the U.S. State Department.

San Diego County has long been a haven for Iraqi refugees, most recently for a record wave of new arrivals.

The 2,356 Iraqis, mostly Chaldean Catholics and other Christian refugees, who arrived in the region last fiscal year are part of a nationwide program to resettle refugees from the war-torn country. It is the largest number of Iraqi refugees who have arrived in San Diego County during a single year. An additional 3,600 are expected this year.

Many of the newcomers are refugees like Salah Saour, 45, an engineer from Baghdad who is still adjusting to his new country after arriving with his wife and their two daughters in August. Saour, who is studying English at an adult school in El Cajon, said his family was not safe in Iraq.

He made a slashing gesture across his neck to show how two of his cousins were killed by extremists. The Syriac Christian and his family fled to Jordan and lived there for four years until given permission to come to the United States, where they have relatives in El Cajon.

“I hope to live in peace with my family and guarantee a future for my daughters,â€
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

These people ran because of a threat to their lives, either because of their religion or bombs falling on their heads in Iraq.
    May I suggest that many of these refugees be settled in Crawford, Texas or the undisclosed location where Dick Cheney will go, or where Rumsfeld is.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is called bringing, "the war to America," mark my words.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The East doesn't "cater" to them.....they just have places where they are sent. We have them sent here but it's not like people were begging for them or any other group of refugees........ I don't know how they determine where they go but no one asks our vote in the matter. They just send them.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    The East doesn't "cater" to them.....they just have places where they are sent. We have them sent here but it's not like people were begging for them or any other group of refugees........ I don't know how they determine where they go but no one asks our vote in the matter. They just send them.
    It says that they settle in East County, meaning the eastern part of San Diego County, because this article is about Iraqi refugees settling in San Diego County.
    ------------------
    "More than 30,000 Iraqis, mainly Chaldeans and Kurds, live in San Diego County, according to Catholic Charities Diocese of San Diego, which is leading the resettlement effort. Other estimates vary. The vast majority of the new arrivals are settling in East County, which has services and businesses that cater to a growing Middle Eastern population."
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn