Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

San Franciso: Supervisor du jour

Supervisor du jour

December 4, 2008

SFC/Lance Iversen

Newsom and Campos shake hands after the new supervisor is sworn into office. Sure, they look happy now. Just wait.

David Campos was sworn in as a San Francisco supervisor Thursday in front of a large, boisterous crowd at City Hall.

Campos, who was elected to represent District Nine on Nov. 4, was appointed to the seat by Mayor Gavin Newsom a month early because former Supervisor Tom Ammiano left for his new job as a state assemblyman.

Campos, a gay man who came to the United States as a 14-year-old undocumented immigrant from Guatemala, alluded to his history as he thanked the mayor for the appointment. The new supervisor, an attorney, became a U.S. citizen in 1997.

"I might be the first undocumented person elected to the Board of Supervisors," Campos said to cheers. "I think it's only fitting in this very difficult time to be an immigrant that something like this would happen in San Francisco. It says a lot about the city."

Campos, who will represent the largely Latino Mission District as well as Bernal Heights, also pledged, in Spanish, to continue working for the rights of Latinos and immigrants.

He will be joined by Supervisors-elect Eric Mar, David Chiu and John Avalos when the entire new board is sworn in Jan. 8.

www.sfgate.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

hmm

I firmly believe that all elected or appointed officials in the US should be at least 3rd generation Americans.

This man has no allegiance to the US. He has one foot in Guatemala and one in the US. He is walking for Guatemalan rights and illegal rights.

This comment perplexes me??

Newsom and Campos shake hands after the new supervisor is sworn into office. Sure, they look happy now. Just wait.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn