Santa Gets A Break From Toughest Sheriff
December 24th, 2007 @ 5:57am
by Bob McClay

Santa Claus already starting his rounds in some parts of the world. He'll be in the Valley tonight, sometime after you're fast asleep.

Is there any chance the unusual visitor could run into trouble with the law? News/Talk KTAR 92-3's Bob McClay asked someone who knows, starting with the question about whether Santa might be an illegal immigrant since he's from the North Pole.

``My geography is tough, but I think if he comes in from Alaska, we're safe," said Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio. ``That's a tough one. I don't do profiling, and I don't know who's behind the beard really, so it's a tough question. I don't know how I could enforce that part of the immigration laws without good probable cause."

Sheriff's deputies will undoubtedly see Santa and his sleigh. Will they pull him over?

``I don't have a sleigh posse, so I don't know how I would put surveillance on him and follow him to the houses or down the chimneys he uses to get down to the kids," the sheriff said.

Is going down chimneys breaking and entering?

The sheriff doubts it. ``People know that Santa does come down the chimney, and no one's ever filed a complaint or asked that he be arrested, so why would I be the first guy to do that."

Arpaio said Santa gets a break.

``If they say that I'm not enforcing the law, with everybody being equal, well, this time I think I won't be equal. We''ll give this guy a pass. I think everyone will agree with me on this one."

The sheriff has a message for children.

``Kids, don't believe everything you hear on television and read in the newspaper about the sheriff cracking down on illegals. Because, you know what. I think this one's going to get a pass. So enjoy Santa, I hope he brings you some good toys. And go to sleep, you won't see him anyway."

http://ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=683462