Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Save Juan Campaign Taking Fight to Congress

The discrimination of our politicians is just unbelievable. When my relative had a problem with legal immigration and we contacted Senator Mel Martinez's office we got nowhere. In fact they were to call us back and 3 weeks later I am still waiting. When a illegal Columbians are in the process of being deported the Hispanic (Cubans to be exact) politicians jumped on it. This really infuriates me. In the case below the parents came and brought the children here and over stayed a visa. Infact they had a deportation order in 2002. They knew darn well what they were doing and should pay the consequences for their actions.

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_210150851.html

Save Juan Campaign Taking Their Fight To Congress
    The Dream Act: Help Bring Back Juan Gomez

(CBS4) DEERFIELD BEACH The Save Juan campaign is taking its fight to the nation's capitol.

Supporters of Killian High School senior Juan Gomez will be leaving for Washington Monday afternoon to personally lobby Congress to pass bill 774 in the Senate and 1275 in the House. Both bills, drafted by Cheryl Little with the Immigration Advocacy Center, would allow Gomez to stay in the U.S.

Gomez, along with his family, all face deportation after an immigration raid. They're all being held in Deerfield Beach at the Broward Transition Center.

Friday, in a conference call with Gomez's supporters, U.S. Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen invited them to the Washington to lobby Congress in person for their support.

During the call, Little read a handwritten letter written by Juan who wrote that he and his brother were deported to Colombia, "it would be as foreign to us as China".

"On the verge of our 2nd and 3rd birthdays, my bother Alejandro Gomez and I, Juan Sebastian Gomez, were brought to a country which symbolized success and the pursuit of happiness. After 17 years, America is all we know. Both of us are fearful of a future in Colombia. Colombia would be as foreign as China to us. Both of us have lost most of our Spanish speaking skills. My brother and I are American no matter what a piece of paper tells us. Our whole family has worked hard in order to better ourselves in the country we call home. Academically, we have both strived and succeeded with hopes that our accomplishments would outshine our immigration status. All of our hard work will hopefully allow us to continue living and contributing to this wonderful country. Our hopes were in the passage of the Dream Act and becoming the first Dream Children."

Little added, "It's just heart breaking that students like this who have so much to contribute to this country are facing imminent deportation. It just doesn't make any sense."

The Killian graduate, who aced 15 of his advanced placement classes, is a member of several honors society, excelled in football and got near-perfect SAT scores. He was to attend Miami-Dade Community College's Honors Program.

However, Juan, 18, was born in Colombia. His parents came to South Florida with their two children on a temporary visa and overstayed. A deportation order was issued in their name back in 2002.

Gomez used cyberspace to inform his friends that he had been detained, and text messaged his friends while he was being taken away in an immigration van. Now through the use of the social networking site Facebook, his friends have created a following of support for Gomez, to be exact, more than 600 students and supporters have joined the fight to support "The Dream Act", which is a law that would allow immigrant students who live in the U.S. to stay, based on the premise that, as youngsters, they had no choice but to follow their parents when they made the decision to enter this country.

"It's hard to get so many teenagers interested in anything, let alone a political agenda, and one has galvanized these people into taking action," said friend Scott Eflenbein. However, immigration officials say they make criminal cases priorities but cannot ignore a case of illegal immigrants such as his family.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Are we supposed to feel bad about this? Let me know. I am confused.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

These illegals have known since 2002 they were to deport now why are they still here ? Why have they not left our country and why have they not been picked up and deported by immigration.
    Its not like they have been on the run ,they have been hiding and defying deportation in plain site !!
    I would guess this kid will get to stay and they probably will use him for the sympathy angle to get our congress to pass the Dream Act.
    You would think they are being sent to Hell when in reality they are being sent Home where they should have stayed instead of breaking our laws.
    The kid got a free education thanks to the american people and now he can go home and go to college...
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Does he need a ticket?
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USPatriot
    These illegals have known since 2002 they were to deport now why are they still here ? Why have they not left our country and why have they not been picked up and deported by immigration.
    Its not like they have been on the run ,they have been hiding and defying deportation in plain site !!
    One word "Lawyers"
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul