SB 1070: What to expect and possible training for officers
Posted - 4/29/2010 at 1:01AM by Danielle Todesco

TUCSON - One of the most contested issues of the Senate Bill 1070 is the power the law will give to officers.

They will be allowed to question people about their immigration status if there is reasonable suspicion the person is in the country illegally.

A local immigration lawyer said he has been fielding calls since the bill was signed by Governor Brewer from legal citizens as to what papers they need to take with them.

Also, a former INS agent is coming forward, requesting to help in the officers' training to avoid racial profiling.

"People are scared, people are frightened. People who are legal...actually, all of the inquiries I've had in the last two weeks have been from people who are here legally who are scared to death about what's required," said immigration attorney Tarik Sultan.

Sultan's advice is to carry your paperwork that proves you are here legally with you at all times. But Neville Cramer, who was in charge of training officers on immigration law, said in 26 years as an agent, he never requested to see papers if someone's answers alone proved they were legal.

"The vast majority of individuals who are arrested as illegal immigrants in this country are shall I say, blatantly so," said Cramer.

But Sultan said the next step he advises to clients if they are questioned by an officer is to question right back.

"The first question they should ask is I'd like you to articulate your reasonable suspicion for why I am not here legally. Then watch what the officer says," said Sultan.

Cramer agrees. The officer must be able to clearly answer what caused their suspicion.

"What you want to train the officers with is what are these articulable facts that would lead a person to be suspicious that someone is in the United States illegally," Cramer said.

He also said it is something he could teach quickly using current programs in place and training on documentation.

"All of these documents and TV programs could be put together to produce a very simple, short program to effectively implement this law without racial profiling," Cramer said Wednesday.

But Sultan said immigration officers have been accused of just that for years.

"Whether it's been legal or not, it's been very common for immigration agents to profile. I mean, I've had countless clients who are profiled sitting in their car, reading the paper and an officer will walk up and ask them for their papers in the country," Sultan said.

Cramer said he has offered to help with officer training, but has not yet heard back from those in charge.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/sb-1070-what-t ... -officers/