Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

SC Illegal Immigration On Top of Lawmakers' Agenda

Sob, sob

posted 4:26 pm Wed January 09, 2008 - Charleston, SC tags: illegal • immigration • lawmakers • house
    They're not wasting any time, after a first day back filled with formalities, lawmakers are getting down to business. Their first task is tackling illegal immigration.

related stories:
    State House Speaker Tackles Illegal Immigration
    Harrell Unveils House Immigration Plan
    Mexican-American Diana Salazar feels safe. She can live openly in the United States, but not everyone is so fortunate.

"There's people out there that need that help, and I feel I was in place to do that," said Salazar who is with South Carolina's Latino Coalition.

Diana is a U.S. citizen lobbying state legislators to stop a bill driving illegal immigrants out of the state.

"They do the low paying jobs in our state of South Carolina," said Salazar. "We pay them less, they live in shacks."

Or trailers like the one illegal immigrant Benito lives in, in fear.

"If the police arrest me and send me back to Mexico, my family would be left behind," said Benito.

Benito has worked in the Lowcountry for five years hoping to make the lives of his children in Mexico better.

"They pay us less, treat us badly and work us like slaves," explained Benito who works installing shingles on roofs and painting.

But Benito says he'll do what it takes. Many illegal immigrants stand on busy streets like this waiting for employers to pick them up. Which is one of the big reasons business owners are calling for change. They say hiring cheap labor puts them out of work. Dorchester County councilman, Larry hargett hears the complaints.

"He said he was being put out of business by other brick layers hiring illegals, paying them a few dollars per hour, and it was hurting his business. He was going to have to go out of business," said Hargett.

In an ABC news 4 poll, 74 percent of respondents believed illegal immigrants should be sent home and legislators seem to be listening, as they first tackle a bill that would ultimately make it impossible for illegal aliens to make a buck. Legislators say the more than 75,000 illegal aliens in the state are costing taxpayers more than $186 million a year.

To view House Bill 4400, click here.

http://www.wciv.com/news/stories/0108/486569.html

Thank you South Carolina Legislature, one of the few groups of politicians that are actually paying attention to what the American people have been demanding!
    "American"Â*with no hyphen andÂ*proud of it!

If the police arrest me and send me back to Mexico, my family would be left behind," said Benito.

Benito has worked in the Lowcountry for five years hoping to make the lives of his children in Mexico better.
    OK does anyone see something wrong with this sob story?
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Thank you South Carolina Legislature, one of the few groups of politicians that are actually paying attention to what the American people have been demanding!

Most of my fellow South Carolinians have a different view of our politicians here in SC. Why haven't they paid attention to what we wanted in the years past dealing with illegal immigration? 17 illegal alien bills have gathered dust in the desks of our politicians without any legislation being discussed or passed. This time around it is only for show because an election cycle is coming.

Understood, buts its still a lot more then most other states are doing even if its only election year politics.
    "American"Â*with no hyphen andÂ*proud of it!