Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

SC won't comply with REAL ID

31 March 2008
    Sanford: State won't comply with REAL ID
    Gov. Mark Sanford said today the state will not comply with the federal Department of Homeland Security's standards for state-issued driver's licenses and IDs. The decision means S.C. residents could be subjected to extra security screenings when boarding airplanes or entering federal buildings.

READ SANFORD'S LETTER(PDF) http://tinyurl.com/2rka22

The federal REAL ID program was instituted after 9/11 to make IDs fraud- and tamperproof. Sanford had until today to make a decision about whether to seek an exension to comply with REAL ID.

Sanford argued in a letter to Homeland Security that S.C.'s IDs are already more secure than most states and cover most of the standards outlined by Homeland Security, which require drivers to provide more documentation to be granted a license.

Sanford also cited the General Assembly's 2007 law that says the state will not comply with what lawmakers have said is a costly, unfunded federal mandate.

"I cannot autorize the implementation of REAL ID or onfrim our state's compliance with its requirements in the future," Sanford wrote in a letter to the Department of Homeland Security. "As you konw, South Carolina has enacted legislation that prevents the state from complying with REAL ID, and I am duty bound to comply with the laws of our state."

Sanford asked Homeland Security to spare S.C. citizens from additional security screenings. If the federal agency doesn't grant Sanford's request, it means S.C. travelers will be subject to additional security screenings starting in mid-May.

http://thestatecom.typepad.com/ygatoday ... ate-w.html

I applaud South Carolina and Gov. Sanford. Go South Carolina!!! I really liked the part where Gov. Sanford says "he is duty bound."

That is a few States now that refuse to comply with Real ID, I hope more join.

If most refuse to comply what can they do to us, keep us off Jury Duty, shut down the airlines?

There are more of us than them.

Of course there are those Haliburton concentration camps they just built.

This is another issue we have to push with our State Reps.

I am confused...I thought the Real ID was a way to insure that all who owned one were Legal citizens, and it was a way to weed out illegals and fake id's....? Isnt this a good idea?

Its Big Brother

Its Big Brother..... and the complete end of our privacy.
    RFID - radio frequency ID,,, everywhere u pass infrareds will catalog - and approve - ur movements.
    Nice Police State we have going here, wouldnt you say?

ronny,

Read all 9 pages of this post and you will see some good arguments for and against Real ID.

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-109286.html

I want no part of it myself, a few years ago I thought it might be a good idea when they first threw it out, until I started studying it and saw the real ramifications.

Darlene Thanks for posting that thread. Somehow I missed it. What a dandy that one turned out to be, some really great posts on that thread.