Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

School bus comandeered by renegade refugees first to arrive

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mp ... y2/3334317

Sept. 1, 2005, 1:26PM

Jabbar Gibson's first time behind the wheel of a school bus was spent transporting dozens of people from New Orleans to the Reliant Astrodome.

School bus comandeered by renegade refugees first to arrive at Astrodome
    By SALATHEIA BRYANT and CYNTHIA LEONOR GARZA
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Jabbar Gibson, 20, said police in New Orleans told him and others to take the school bus and try to get out of the flooded city.

Gibson drove the bus from the flooded Crescent City, picking up stranded people, some of them infants, along the way. Some of those on board had been in the Superdome, among those who were supposed to be evacuated to Houston on more than 400 buses Wednesday and today. They couldn't wait.

The group of mostly teenagers and young adults pooled what little money they had to buy diapers for the babies and fuel for the bus.

After arriving at the Astrodome at about 10:30 p.m., however, they initially were refused entry by Reliant officials who said the aging landmark was reserved for the 23,000 people being evacuated from the Louisiana Superdome.

"Now, we don't have nowhere to go," Gibson said. "We heard the Astrodome was open for people from New Orleans. We ain't ate right, we ain't slept right. They don't want to give us no help. They don't want to let us in."

Milling about the Reliant entrance, Sheila Nathan, 38, told her teary-eyed toddler that she was too tired to hold him.

"I'm trying to make it a fairy tale so they won't panic," said Nathan, who had four grandchildren in tow. "I have to be strong for them."

After about 20 minutes of confusion and consternation, Red Cross officials announced that the group of about 50 to 70 evacuees would be allowed into the Astrodome.

All were grateful to be out of the devastation and misery that had overtaken their hometown.

"I feel good to get out of New Orleans," said Demetrius Henderson, who got off the bus with his wife and three children. Many of those around him alternated between excited, cranky and nervous, clutching suitcases or plastic garbage bags of clothes.

They looked as bedraggled as their grueling ride would suggest: 13 hours on the commandeered bus driven by a 20-year-old man. Watching bodies float by as they tried to escape the drowning city. Picking up people along the way. Three stops for fuel. Chugging into Reliant Park, only to be told initially that they could not spend the night.

Every bit worth it.

"We took the bus and got out of the city. We were trying to get out of the city," James Hickerson said.

Several passengers on the bus said they took the matter into their own hands earlier Wednesday because they felt rescuers and New Orleans authorities were too slow in offering help.

"They are not worried about us," said Makivia Horton, 22, who is five months pregnant.

salatheia.bryant@chron.com

cynthia.garza@chron.com
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

The Mayor and Governor should have used all those school busses to help get people out. The governors idea to make people leave was to turn off the w I saw photos of hundreds of school busses sitting in a flooded parking lot. This 20 year old kid has more sense than those who were supposed to be protecting the citizens.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

I saw this on one of the cable news networks and thought it was a great story. That report, however, said the youth driver was only 15.

Red Cross. Full of red tape. Refusing to let these people in .. that's

Imagine how they felt going all that ways and then getting turned down by the Red Cross...

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    Imagine how they felt going all that ways and then getting turned down by the Red Cross...
    Red Cross is lucky some of the hoodlums doing the looting didn't sneak on that bus.

Red Cross is lucky the people didn't start a rebellion.

Gosh, wonder what would happen if more school buses showed up. Would they tell them to keep driving?

Gee and the Red Crss wonders why they dont get more donations. I cna say that the Salvation Amry goes in and feeds and clothes everyone needing it. They dont tell them sorry, we need you to fill out paperwork first.