Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Schumer calls on Gonzales to step down

Schumer calls on Gonzales to step down
    By HOPE YEN, Associated Press Writer
    3 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Senate's No. 3 Democrat said Sunday that Attorney General Alberto Gonzales should resign because he is putting politics above the law. Sen. Charles Schumer (news, bio, voting record) cited the FBI's illegal snooping into people's private lives and the Justice Department's firing of federal prosecutors.

Schumer, D-N.Y., said Gonzales repeatedly has shown more allegiance to President Bush than to citizens' legal rights since taking his job in early 2005.

He branded Gonzales, a former White House counsel, as one of the most political attorney generals in recent history.

"Attorney General Gonzales is a nice man, but he either doesn't accept or doesn't understand that he is no longer just the president's lawyer, but has a higher obligation to the rule of law and the Constitution even when the president should not want it to be so," Schumer said.

"And so this department has been so political that I think for the sake of the nation, Attorney General Gonzales should step down," he said.

Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., a member of the Democrat-controlled Judiciary Committee, said Gonzales would be "better off" if he resigned.

"There is very little credibility in the Justice Department right now," Biden said. He cited what he said were abuses of power dating to Gonzales' tenure as White House counsel in which he advocated aggressive interrogations of suspected terrorists that pushed the boundaries of the law.

"I think Gonzales has lost the confidence of the vast majority of the American people," he said. "I think he's lost the confidence of the Congress."

Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter (news, bio, voting record), the top Republican on the committee, said Gonzales' resignation was a "question for the president and the attorney general."

"I do think there have been lots of problems," said Specter, who last week suggested that a Gonzales tenure may have run its course. "Before we come to conclusions, I think we need to know more facts."

Justice spokesman Brian Roehrkasse said the attorney general had made significant strides to protect national security, increase prosecutions of sex offenders and immigration offenses and fight gang violence.

"The attorney general demonstrated decisive leadership by demanding a new level of accountability to address systematic problems in oversight over some of the FBI's national security tools," Roehrkasse said.

The lawmakers' comments come after a week in which the Justice Department found itself on the defensive over the U.S. attorneys and the FBI's misuse of a type of subpoena known as national security letters.

On Friday, Gonzales and FBI director Robert Mueller acknowledged the FBI had broken the law to secretly pry out personal information about people in the U.S. as part of its pursuit of suspected terrorists and spies.

The admission came after a blistering 126-page report by the Justice Department's inspector general that found agents improperly obtained telephone records and demanded sensitive data. The information was obtained via security letters, which are special warrants issued without judicial approval.

Under criticism by lawmakers, Gonzales also agreed to tighten the law for replacing U.S. attorneys and to let Congress hear from senior department officials with roles in the ousters.

Several U.S. attorneys allege they were unfairly dismissed without reason after they declined to rush corruption investigations into Democrats before last November's congressional election. Gonzales and other officials have denied the charge.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (news, bio, voting record), R-S.C., said it is the Bush administration's right to fire U.S. attorneys because they serve at the will of the president. Still, he said, the Justice Department was wrong to attack their reputations.

"I don't believe the attorney general will resign, but this whole episode was unnecessarily poorly handled," Graham said.

Over the weekend, Bush pledged an end to the FBI lapses that caused the illegal snooping but expressed confidence in the response by Mueller and Gonzales. Mueller has accepted responsibility, and both have pledged to fix problems.

Bush said that while the inspector general's report "justly made issue of FBI shortfalls, (it) also made clear that these letters were important to the security of the United States."

Lawmakers from both parties called the FBI abuses unacceptable. They noted it was Congress that demanded the inspector general review the program even as Justice Department officials were providing assurances the government's surveillance programs were being run responsibly.

In coming hearings by the Judiciary Committee, senators plan to consider whether to scale back some of the government's law enforcement powers in light of the abuses.

Schumer and Specter were on "Face the Nation" on CBS; Biden and Graham spoke on "Late Edition" on CNN.

http://news.yahoo.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is wonderful, we should be so lucky!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

The Senate's No. 3 Democrat said Sunday that Attorney General Alberto Gonzales should resign because he is putting politics above the law.
    I vote "YEA".
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Demorats might do something right, that would be nice.

If gonzalez gets ousted, I think we should petition to make a national holiday out of it. We'll call it, 'Anti-citizen' day.
    I hope this low life gets canned.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Schumer, D-N.Y., said Gonzales repeatedly has shown more allegiance to President Bush than to citizens' legal rights since taking his job in early 2005.
    I applaud Senator Schumer on asking Gonzales to step down. Gonzales does show "more allegiance to President Bush than to citizens".

"And so this department has been so political that I think for the sake of the nation, Attorney General Gonzales should step down," he said.
    Agreed. Bravo!

Well, the pot calling the kettle black is what this is.

Schumer is one of the ones that is willing to give our Country to the illegals.

http://grades.betterimmigration.com/vie ... &VIPID=565

http://www.vote-smart.org/voting_catego ... =13&go.y=1

A lot more than gonzales should resign. Anyone that is willing to sell America should resign.
    He ain't heavy, he's my Brother
    Â*http://www.alsa.org/

Out with the anchor baby!! His loyalties are divided and then some.. and they have nothing to do with the American people or our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by peladac

A lot more than gonzales should resign. Anyone that is willing to sell America should resign.
    I agree. I'd love to see Gonzalez step down. But when Schumer and Biden are pushing it, it makes me highly suspicious as to what the Dems have up their sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by cvangel
    Quote Originally Posted by peladac

I agree. I'd love to see Gonzalez step down. But when Schumer and Biden are pushing it, it makes me highly suspicious as to what the Dems have up their sleeve.
    Yes, I never did like Gonzalez, but there are some that I distrust even more.
    He ain't heavy, he's my Brother
    Â*http://www.alsa.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast