Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Schwarzenegger Blasts Idea of Border Wall

http://www.startribune.com/484/story/388456.html

Last update: April 23, 2006 – 9:06 PM

Schwarzenegger Blasts Idea of Border Wall
    LOS ANGELES (AP) - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Sunday said that building a 700-mile wall along the Mexican border to deter illegal immigration would amount to "going back to the Stone Ages,'' and instead urged the use of high-tech gear and more patrols to secure the nation's southern boundary.
    By MICHAEL R. BLOOD, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Sunday said that building a 700-mile wall along the Mexican border to deter illegal immigration would amount to "going back to the Stone Ages,'' and instead urged the use of high-tech gear and more patrols to secure the nation's southern boundary.

"We are landing men on the moon and in outer space using all these great things. I think that other technology really can secure the borders,'' the Republican governor said in an interview on ABC's "This Week.''

"If I say now, 'Yes, let's build the wall,' what would prevent you from building a tunnel? I mean, we've detected tunnels left and right that people can drive trucks through,'' he added.

The comments were Schwarzenegger's most detailed to date on the wall proposal, which was included in legislation enacted in the U.S. House of Representatives. Schwarzenegger has said previously that fences might be appropriate in some areas, but raised doubts about the effectiveness of a wall snaking along the border.

Speaking on ABC, the governor said, "I think that it will be ludicrous to limit yourself to just building a wall. We're going back to the Stone Ages here.''

But he also suggested practical and symbolic reasons to oppose the proposal. He alluded to the Berlin Wall, suggesting that such a structure on the U.S. border would send the wrong message to Mexico, "our friends ... our trading partners.''

Schwarzenegger, a native of Austria, also repeated his opposition to amnesty for illegal immigrants, but provided few specifics of what requirements an illegal immigrant should have to meet to achieve legal status.

He also said it's unrealistic to consider uprooting or driving out the nation's estimated 11 million illegal immigrants.

"It would cost $500 billion. Who's going to pay for that?'' he asked.

Schwarzenegger immigrated to the U.S. in 1968 and became a naturalized citizen in 1984, but has retained his Austrian citizenship. (PROFILE (COUNTRY:Austria; ISOCOUNTRY3:AUT; UNTOP:150; UN2ND:155; APGROUP:Europe (COUNTRY:Mexico; ISOCOUNTRY3:MEX; UNTOP:419; UN2ND:013; APGROUP:NorthAmerica; APGROUP:LatinAmerica (COUNTRY:United States; ISOCOUNTRY3:USA; UNTOP:021; APGROUP:NorthAmerica
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The walls of the stoneages were pretty effective, I do believe. I say BUILD THE WALL
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://washingtontimes.com/upi/20060423 ... -8400r.htm

Schwarzenegger favors 'earned citizenship'
    Apr. 23, 2006 at 11:50PM
    California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger rebuked fellow Republicans for their stance on immigration reform in an interview Sunday with ABC News.

Speaking on "This Week with George Stephanopoulos," Schwarzenegger rejected the idea of building a wall along 700 miles of the U.S.-Mexican border -- an idea advocated by a number of prominent House Republicans.

"I think that it will be ludicrous to limit yourself to just building a wall," he said. "We're going back to the stone ages here."

Schwarzenegger cited the large number of tunnels that had been discovered along the border with Mexico.

"They have air conditioning systems in these tunnels and water flowing and fuel supply and everything," he said.

? Schwarzenegger embraced "earned citizenship" -- a position espoused by numerous Senate Republicans -- and dismissed any suggestion of amnesty. He also rejected calls for mass deportation.

"How do you do this logistically?" he asked. "How does that work? You send 12 million people back. It would cost $500 billion. Who's going to pay for that? I mean, this is ludicrous to think this way."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"We are landing men on the moon and in outer space using all these great things."

Actually, it's been 32 years since we walked on the moon. Since walls don't work, let's tear down all the walls around our prisons and use "virtual" walls instead. Arnold is definitely a RINO
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

I think that if we fine the company's that are importing and hiring illegal labor we could probably pay for the fence.
    We know we need more agents at the border, but and electronic fence requires even more manpower to monitor.
    I want to see our government approve the monies and manpower needed to enforce the laws we have before they pass new ones that may or may not be enforced.
    The virtual fence will generate billions of dollars in government contracts for studies to see what would work the best. Then construction would be another round of contracts and might start in 2-3 years after the "studies" have been made. Would Haliburton get the contract?
    The new mantra of "we are a Naton of laws" means nothing when they are not enforced and law enforcement is told to "stand down".
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

That's disappointing coming from the Terminator. I thought he would take a harder line. But I see he is more interested in staying in line with Bush and the rest of the turncoats.

That's OK. He's up for re-elect this year. If the other guy is smart, he will come out for enforcing the laws of this land.